Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pretty good Choice Brisket on the 22  (Read 489 times)

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
Pretty good Choice Brisket on the 22
« on: February 20, 2021, 07:20:19 PM »
Picked up a choice this morning, no primes to be found. Meat looked good though. Rubbed with simple SPG.  Cooked her Hot n Fast using cowboy lump, peach and apple chunks, and just used water for spritz. Rested only for an hour(I couldn't wait!) Then back on the smoker with the burnt ends. Still need to tweak the burnt ends I think, as far as additional rub/sauce/ temps a little. Any tips? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pretty good Choice Brisket on the 22
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 08:09:02 PM »
Looks awesome !!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 04:13:28 AM »
Nice looking 22” wsm Brisket cook. About 90% of the briskets I smoke are done on my 18” or 22” WSM.

Very rarely do I make burnt ends. I enjoy eating the point, so I don’t have much input on making burnt ends.

What did your packer weigh?

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 05:31:27 AM »
Nice looking 22” wsm Brisket cook. About 90% of the briskets I smoke are done on my 18” or 22” WSM.

Very rarely do I make burnt ends. I enjoy eating the point, so I don’t have much input on making burnt ends.

What did your packer weigh?

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers
Hey Good morning AZ2FL. This was my first "Choice" Brisket and it weighed right at 15 pounds. I guess besides marbling? the choice designation was for some shiners on the fat cap where the butcher over did it? I was happy with it in the end though. The flat was fat enough that it didn't dry out. I was surprised that the flat didn't get to temp quicker than point, but maybe that's typical, I can't remember. I have only smoked 5 or 6 of these now, as it takes dedication a whole day.
I was a little disappointed that I didn't end up with more flat meat. Maybe that's got something to do with choice also? And there was much more point meat than I thought there'd be.  When I saw there were no primes, I almost just got a prime flat only, but I really wanted those burnt ends! Lol! It's just crazy what the restsurants charge for the burnt ends...but then again, it takes a lot of time making them, and making brisket in general.  I'll looking forward to the next one already! Thanks for the reply too.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:38:43 AM by Mike Huff »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 01:35:54 PM »
Dude, those burnt ends look excellent to me. The flat does also.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 11:28:42 AM »
I'm getting the itch for another brisket! I wish I had an excuse to cook more bbq! Lol