Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How much charcoal  (Read 1713 times)

mack kettle

• Happy Cooker
How much charcoal
« on: August 28, 2020, 05:35:30 PM »
I cooked some chicken thighs on my grill yesturday. I filled my chimney to the top with coal and got it going. I placed the hot coals on the side of my grill for indirect heat. After the heat gauge showed 300 I put the chicken on. It was to cook for 45 minutes. After about 30 minutes the temp dropped to 225. I opened up the vents and got the temp back up to 300. The temp was up and down after that as much as 50 degrees. What did I do wrong.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
How much charcoal
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 05:38:31 PM »
I’m not sure you did anything wrong.   I wouldn’t put much stock in a lid thermometer.   They’re notoriously inaccurate. 

How many thighs did you cook?  What were your vent settings? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How much charcoal
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »
I say open the vents from the start and throttle back if necessary for this type of cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

mack kettle

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 06:08:09 PM »
My vents were open at the bottom just about an inch from being closed. The top was almost closed off.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 06:46:13 PM »
Keep the vents open on top and bottom.  Don't worry too much about grill temps on chicken thighs.  Thighs are hard to overcook. Preheat grill for 15 minutes then 45 minutes open vents indirect with bone-in, skin-on thighs is usually right.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 06:59:51 PM »
The top vent should be max open for 99% of the time. For chicken, pour a full lit chimney on one side (as you did) and have all vents wide open and let that grill rip. Sometimes I sear at the start, sometimes at the end (aka reverse). The key for poultry is high heat and accurate meat temping, imo.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

magic mike

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 08:27:53 PM »
Are you using charcoal baskets?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 05:30:41 AM »

The top vent should be max open for 99% of the time. For chicken, pour a full lit chimney on one side (as you did) and have all vents wide open and let that grill rip. Sometimes I sear at the start, sometimes at the end (aka reverse). The key for poultry is high heat and accurate meat temping, imo.

Agree.

If your cooking chicken indirect let it rip. No need to try and maintain a temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 05:45:10 AM »
Are you using charcoal baskets?
Baskets won’t really make a difference here.  You just want it hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mack kettle

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
Magic Mike im sorry I misread your question. No I did not have any baskets for the charcoal. Sorry for the wrong answer on the charcoal.

Hoprock

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »
I would just add that using 1/2 to 3/4 of a large basket of coals banked to one side while adding some soaked Apple chips (or wood of your choice) in about 3 equally timed additions makes for a great Thigh or Leg Quarter cook. Agree with keeping the vents open and letting it rip. We do this on a regular basis and get the best of both worlds in terms of juicy meat with dry skin and a nice, but not overly intense smoke flavor. I typically drop some Ekrich links on top for the last 20-30 minutes with the last Wood addition. Will also occasionally mop with a house recipe Vinegar and spice blend. Typical cook time is two hours from first light to table.

The attached photo of the usual cook is from last weekend.  Kingsford photobomb is intentional as I submitted it their sweepstakes competition.

Enjoy
2020 Performer (Slate Blue)
2015 Smokey Joe (Black)
2010 22" Original (Black)

mack kettle

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 02:50:42 PM »
I cooked chicken legs and thighs bone in on my weber grill. I started with a full chimney, got that hot and poured them in the middle of the grate. The temp gauge on the grill said 350. I checked with my new Maverick pro and the digital probe said 450. the  temp gauge on the grill is 100 degrees off. I regulated the heat as best as I could and in 1 hour the thickest thigh was showing 165 degrees. I took them off and wrapped them in foil and let them rest. For only the second time cooking on this grill, it was better than the first. Thanks everyone for the help on this forum and for the advise. Very much appreciated.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 03:16:33 PM »
I cooked chicken legs and thighs bone in on my weber grill. I started with a full chimney, got that hot and poured them in the middle of the grate. The temp gauge on the grill said 350. I checked with my new Maverick pro and the digital probe said 450. the  temp gauge on the grill is 100 degrees off. I regulated the heat as best as I could and in 1 hour the thickest thigh was showing 165 degrees. I took them off and wrapped them in foil and let them rest. For only the second time cooking on this grill, it was better than the first. Thanks everyone for the help on this forum and for the advise. Very much appreciated.
Good work. With each cook comes confidence in your process and less worrying. Keep cooking. 

Next time take em to 175 and dont worry about resting them.  You will love em.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;