Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Double WSMs  (Read 10364 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Double WSMs
« on: September 20, 2020, 05:27:36 PM »
I did a cook that would do a number of things, one would be to break in my 18" WSM that I got off of CL awhile back but never got around to it, another was to smoke a Tri-tip and to use lump charcoal plus use two WSMs at once (i've done multi kettles) I was going to try to get around 225-230 area but I over shot and ended up at 260 I think I may have a leak in the door and it was breezy so...
I also did Burboun baked beans in the 14"

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Double WSMs
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 06:53:08 PM »
That all looks very good!
My 18WSM door seals up much better if I put it in upside-down.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 02:05:30 PM »
That all looks very good!
My 18WSM door seals up much better if I put it in upside-down.
I'll give that a try, thanks!

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
Double WSMs
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 02:20:27 PM »
Bourbon baked Beans and TT look good!

I don’t worry to much about wsm temp running at 260. To me there is not much of a difference   between 230 to 260.

You’ll love smoking on your 18” wsm. I’ve owned mine for almost 19 years and cook 90% of my wsm and kettle cooks with lump. I’m not a fanboy of KBB.

I did a double WSM cook for the super bowl back in February.
Two packer briskets in the 22” and 18” cooked Boston butt on the bottom rack and pork ribs on the top rack.

I use aluminum foil when my door leaks to much. Lol

Thanks for sharing
Cheers
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 02:24:39 PM by AZ2FL »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 11:22:49 AM »
Bourbon baked Beans and TT look good!

I don’t worry to much about wsm temp running at 260. To me there is not much of a difference   between 230 to 260.

You’ll love smoking on your 18” wsm. I’ve owned mine for almost 19 years and cook 90% of my wsm and kettle cooks with lump. I’m not a fanboy of KBB.

I did a double WSM cook for the super bowl back in February.
Two packer briskets in the 22” and 18” cooked Boston butt on the bottom rack and pork ribs on the top rack.

I use aluminum foil when my door leaks to much. Lol

Thanks for sharing
Cheers
I wasn't really worried about it, i didn't catch it sooner and i was happy with the cook.  While i was waiting for it to be done a little voice in my head said "check your meat temp"  glad i did because it was at 147 so off it came and a quick sear over the coals and life was good!

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 11:10:03 AM »
Looks good!

Is that Royal Oak lump charcoal in there?  That's what I've been using in my WSM for almost a year now so I'm curious how you found the lump charcoal.  Were you using briquettes in your WSM before this?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 06:13:00 PM »
Looks good!

Is that Royal Oak lump charcoal in there?  That's what I've been using in my WSM for almost a year now so I'm curious how you found the lump charcoal.  Were you using briquettes in your WSM before this?
Yes it is and the first time so.... I'm still learning it, I used briqs to start it, my temp started to rise once the lump started so I'll start watch my temps better.  I have been using Kingsford Professional briqs before this and have been satisfied.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 03:33:34 AM »
Looks good!

Yes it is and the first time so.... I'm still learning it, I used briqs to start it, my temp started to rise once the lump started so I'll start watch my temps better.  I have been using Kingsford Professional briqs before this and have been satisfied.

RO lump is my preferred fuel for most all of my 18" & 22" WSM and kettle cooks.

I use two char grates in my WSM, with the second one rotated 90 degree to the first. This prevents the smaller pieces of lump from falling thru and helps maintain a good bed of coals.

Cowboy and Western are junk lump coal. IMHO
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 03:42:09 AM by AZ2FL »