Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first SSP! Plum?  (Read 1829 times)

FlashHokie

• WKC Brave
My first SSP! Plum?
« on: August 16, 2020, 08:29:07 AM »
I've been looking for a SSP for over a year and just haven't been lucky on several attempts. This one popped up on Craigslist for $75 about 45 minutes from me and I pounced. Double D on the vent so it's 2000. The condition is excellent except for the as catcher is rusted through in a few places. My wife says it's burgundy but it's plum to me! In the sun yesterday it looked more plum/purple. Today in the clouds it's more burgundy. You decide.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: My first SSP! Plum?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 08:30:33 AM »
Nice score!   [emoji171]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »
Flashkokie grate looking kettle you got there. Congrats!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 12:50:55 PM »
From what I can see you got stupid lucky my friend.  Looks to be in grate shape and plums are not an easy find to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 12:53:41 PM »
Awesome score!  Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »
Def plum, burgandy is more like a gloss Crimson.
Awesome find brother!

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

FlashHokie

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 01:45:16 PM »
From what I can see you got stupid lucky my friend.  Looks to be in grate shape and plums are not an easy find to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Better lucky than good as they say! I missed out on several over the past year so this makes up for it.

J_Code_Foxbody

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 05:39:06 AM »
Nice plum find [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Too many kettles, not enough time.
1960 Glen Blue Galley-Que K Code 18" Redhead
EO Code 22" Brownie 2019 22" Ivory...Just a few of my favs

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 07:55:36 AM »
That's a beautiful Plum- congrats! The handle upgrades look great.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

FlashHokie

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
That's a beautiful Plum- congrats! The handle upgrades look great.
Beautiful handles from @zavod44

Mainline

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 09:59:55 AM »
Wow, very nice pickup for $75!
Looks to be complete which is pretty rare for buying those used.

That generation Performer is my favorite. It's very easy to do a complete tear down on those. You might consider doing that if you plan on keeping it a long time. The insides of the square tubing tends to rust. So if you tear it all down, sand it and give it a couple coats of Rustoleum, including inside the tubing.
Also, all the bolts on that grill are 1/4-20 and you can get nice stainless steel ones at your local hardware store.
You can tear it all down, paint and put back together in a day. Most time consuming part is waiting for the paint to dry!

There is also a guy that makes custom white wall lettering for the wheels. I think he charges $20 for a pair, which isn't too bad.

FlashHokie

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 10:33:41 AM »

That generation Performer is my favorite. It's very easy to do a complete tear down on those. You might consider doing that if you plan on keeping it a long time. The insides of the square tubing tends to rust. So if you tear it all down, sand it and give it a couple coats of Rustoleum, including inside the tubing.
Also, all the bolts on that grill are 1/4-20 and you can get nice stainless steel ones at your local hardware store.
You can tear it all down, paint and put back together in a day. Most time consuming part is waiting for the paint to dry!

There is also a guy that makes custom white wall lettering for the wheels. I think he charges $20 for a pair, which isn't too bad.
I really appreciate the info! I do plan on keeping for a while so my next free Saturday I'll take your advice and dismantle and paint. Also good to know the size of the hardware. I'm definitely replacing those with stainless.

Mainline

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 10:43:43 AM »

I really appreciate the info! I do plan on keeping for a while so my next free Saturday I'll take your advice and dismantle and paint. Also good to know the size of the hardware. I'm definitely replacing those with stainless.

No problem!

One other tip. Sometimes when you take it apart, you will find the little inserts that go inside the square tubing will be in bad shape and sometimes you can't even reuse them. You can order some here for pretty cheap. This is the size you'll need:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TK56RQZ/