Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2nd weber added to the Stable  (Read 8259 times)

SaltySmoker

• Smokey Joe
2nd weber added to the Stable
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:05:17 AM »
Just picked up a used WSM in the fort worth area.  Broke her in with a 16lb brisket.  Kept it simple... 12hr dry brine, then just added some cracked pepper.  225° for 18hrs with apple and maple wood.  Came out great. 

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

22" Copper Weber Performer w/ SNS
22" WSM with CB Door

SaltySmoker

• Smokey Joe
Re: 2nd weber added to the Stable
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:07:18 AM »
It was absolutely crazy how steady the temp stayed.  Within 20° for 8hrs at one point.  I think they call it the Minion Method .  Hot coals in the center and let it burn outward.

22" WSM with CB Door

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 08:20:32 AM »
Looks awesome, grate score
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 08:33:53 AM »
That looks amazing, still planning to do my first brisket soon I hope.  (Saving for vacation)  It is amazing how well they hold temp without having to do anything.  And the question everyone always asks....did you use water in the water pan?  The bark looks really good and crispy so I'm guessing you didn't.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 08:34:29 AM »
It was absolutely crazy how steady the temp stayed.  Within 20° for 8hrs at one point.  I think they call it the Minion Method .  Hot coals in the center and let it burn outward.

That's a good way to break in a new to you WSM, congrats on your WSM.
Brisket looks absolutely delicious!!
Yes that's the minion method and that's what I use. I've never had issues with my WSM 18" or 22" holding temps.

Hot and Fast method is how I prefer to smoke brisket, normally a 14-18lb packer will take six to seven hours. Sand in the water pan (no water) and cover with heavy aluminum foil.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:09:56 AM by AZ2FL »

SaltySmoker

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 09:07:08 AM »
Funny thing about the water pan.  I did fill it at the start... but at about 14hrs in I noticed it was empty... so I left it empty for the last 4hrs.
That looks amazing, still planning to do my first brisket soon I hope.  (Saving for vacation)  It is amazing how well they hold temp without having to do anything.  And the question everyone always asks....did you use water in the water pan?  The bark looks really good and crispy so I'm guessing you didn't.

22" WSM with CB Door

SaltySmoker

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 09:08:08 AM »
I will have to research the sand in water pan more... first I've heard of it but I guess the sand holds the heat like water, but without the water vapor?

That's a good way to break in a new to you WSM, congrats on your second WSM.
Brisket looks absolutely delicious!!
Yes that's the minion method and that's what I use. I've never had issues with my WSM 18" or 22" holding temps.

Hot and Fast method is how I prefer to smoke brisket, normally a 14-18lb packer will take six to seven hours. Sand in the water pan (no water) and cover with heavy aluminum foil.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:10:04 AM by SaltySmoker »
22" WSM with CB Door