Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Opinion for Hunsaker WSM floating hinge and clip  (Read 8527 times)

vietqdoan

• Smokey Joe
Opinion for Hunsaker WSM floating hinge and clip
« on: July 16, 2020, 11:39:43 PM »
Hello friends,
I have the Hunsaker vortex plate and hanging rack for my 18" WSM, I love the Mark's product so much and want to continue supporting his family business.  I'm interested in installing the lid hinge for my WSM, I see a lot of Unknown hinge reviews/videos, but don't see any reviews on the Hunsaker one.  If anyone currently using one, please let me know your opinion.

Thank you, and have a great day.
Vincent.

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
Re: Opinion for Hunsaker WSM floating hinge and clip
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 01:13:03 PM »
I'm curious too. I watched the demonstration video on their website and was wondering if the lid could get blown off by a stiff breeze when it's in the up position. There's no locking pin.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:01:13 AM »
Hello friends,
I have the Hunsaker vortex plate and hanging rack for my 18" WSM, I love the Mark's product so much and want to continue supporting his family business.  I'm interested in installing the lid hinge for my WSM, I see a lot of Unknown hinge reviews/videos, but don't see any reviews on the Hunsaker one.  If anyone currently using one, please let me know your opinion.

Vincent.
I also have the Hunsaker Vortex Plate(HVP) for my WSM 18" "Classic" which is still unused; so, how do you exactly set-up your WSM for a Hanging Rib BBQ Sesstion, i.e., use the water pan, cover the HVP with aluminum foil for easy clean-up, etc.??

vietqdoan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 05:08:08 PM »
Hello friends,

Vincent.
I also have the Hunsaker Vortex Plate(HVP) for my WSM 18" "Classic" which is still unused; so, how do you exactly set-up your WSM for a Hanging Rib BBQ Sesstion, i.e., use the water pan, cover the HVP with aluminum foil for easy clean-up, etc.??

Hi, I don't use the water pan with the HVP, since the heat is distributed evenly.  What I did was first to season the HVP with used cooking oil on both sides, and after each cook, I use the stainless paint scrapper to remove all the burned drops.

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 05:28:22 AM »
I am ready to pull the trigger on a hood hinge and also have been looking for information on the Hunsaker Floating Hinge. 

Have yet to find anyone who chose the HFH over the Unknownbbq.  There's a message there I suppose. 

I live on the water and at times it is crazy windy.  I hadn't thought about the hood blowing off, but have thought about the WSM tipping over or separating at the charcoal bowl with the weight of the hood hung off the side/back of the smoker.  Hunsaker and CB both offer solutions for this that secure the middle section to the bottom charcoal bowl, but that means the now whole WSM is now vulnerable to tipping.