Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Performer on order, got me to thinking  (Read 1150 times)

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
New Performer on order, got me to thinking
« on: July 02, 2020, 04:08:42 AM »
Just ordered a new Performer Deluxe in copper. I've been cooking on the same kettle that I bought new in 1986. About 5 years ago it got a new ash rake and a front leg cap, and other than a thorough cleaning at the same time remains unchanged. I'm kind of proud of the old girl, she still hums along just fine. When I was newly married and we moved into an apartment that didn't allow charcoal grills I kept it at my mom's house and continued using it. With the new Performer coming I've decided to clean and semi-retire the '86, still use it occasionally, but leave the heavy lifting for the new grill. My daughter asked if I was getting rid of it with the new grill coming. How could you get rid of a family member? I suggested we should get her a new dog and sell the current one on craigslist...

Which is what got me to thinking, (thread title). By Weber standards '86 isn't an old grill. But buying it new and keeping it for 34 years has got to be up there for longevity. I was 28 when I bought it, I am 62 now.

Who else has an older kettle they bought new and have owned it since?   

rc

• WKC Brave
Re: New Performer on order, got me to thinking
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:27:11 AM »
I’m 30 and and can’t really contribute to this thread much but I have been grilling now for a few years and just bought my first new grill (also a performer). I plan on having this one for hopefully my entire life and making great meals and memories with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
New Performer on order, got me to thinking
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:31:51 AM »
Not as impressive longevity in ownership, but I bought my first brand new kettle, a black one touch silver, in 2000.  I bought it when I moved into my first apartment, which allowed charcoal grills.  I still have it and use occasionally.  It’s my dedicated rotisserie grill.  I even have the owners manual and cook book that came with it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:33:59 AM by michaelmilitello »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 05:42:39 AM »
34 years of ownership is impressive no matter what year the grill is! That old grill can tell some stories
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Armpitbbq

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 06:04:40 AM »
Love to hear stories like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 07:04:04 AM »

Thanks for the thread @Ashley Coalburn   

Growing up was hard. I could handle OK the walking to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both ways. But what I missed out on was BBQ and grilling. Unlike some stories I’ve read, I don’t have memories of growing up with a fruity kettle. I had to start my own memories with a Weber.

It started with a black ’78. My wife and I were a young married couple with two young kids. I wanted to “BBQ”, so we bought a Weber kettle – brand new.

I remember it being a lot of money for us, but I’m cheap so it’s probably all relative anyway. I must have had some repressed memories somewhere of charcoal grilling because, although I don’t remember, I knew enough to buy a Weber kettle – they were the best.

It hasn't seen action for a while, and it's a little greyed, but it's still a proud member of our modest collection. (I say "our" - like my wife actually claims any part of this affliction)

Dude, relax your chicken.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 07:23:23 AM »
Pretty cool thread here...

I started out with Weber Smokey Joes, what with being in apartments early in my first marriage (late 80s).  I have no idea how many I bought over the years, but probably over a dozen, none of which I have anymore.  I always seemed to give them away to friends or family who were curious about grilling and tried to on cheap grills without success.  I bought my first 22" kettle in 2000 after moving to a larger house and used it for 6 years.  It came with me through a divorce and now it's found a home at my 2nd wife's parent's house.  It doesn't see much action, but I know where it is and it's covered if I ever want it back.  I imagine one day I will have it back and it will be welcomed into the collection.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »
Some great responses! In other news, the copper just became crimson. I found one in stock locally quite by accident for $90 less. Going to pick it up in a few minutes.

@rc  The memories are what it's all about. I can still recall the first cook, burgers. Back then it was about all I could do. That or hot dogs. Chicken got burned because I sauced everything and way too early! Ribs were tough because membrane who?

@michaelmilitello Nice! I still have the recipe book that came with mine too. No owner's manual though.

@dazzo Your story sounds so close to mine. I had been grilling earlier on other grills, basically a tin tray with a rack, but this was my first GRILL. I too wanted a Weber we could ill afford. I remember times when the cost of a bag of charcoal was out of reach. My dad wasn't much of a griller, but every once in a while we'd "cook out", that's what we called it. "Let's have a cook out." I bow to your longevity, you got me by 8 years! Well done!

Let's keep this going. Who can top dazzo? 42 years is going to be tough to beat!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 12:18:50 PM »
If you haven't left yet, take a look at the exclusive one at Crate & Barrel.  You can order online.  Will be more than the discounted crimson, but the same price as a black at home depot. 
regards,
Hal

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 01:47:03 PM »
If you haven't left yet, take a look at the exclusive one at Crate & Barrel.  You can order online.  Will be more than the discounted crimson, but the same price as a black at home depot.

Thanks, but already have it home. I'm happy with it, and the price.

The question is, should I go look at the C&B one and hate myself, or just skip it? Hmmm....

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »
I rehabbed my grandparents 1969 avocado 22. I put it in an ssp frame due to the leg sockets being long gone. I dont really use it but for storage. But I can't get rid of the ol girl. My uncle bought it for them brand new late 69 early 70.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 10:35:32 AM »
The C&B slate is cool for sure,  however that crimson will blush when hot!  Turns a deep maroon. 

Thanks, but already have it home. I'm happy with it, and the price.

The question is, should I go look at the C&B one and hate myself, or just skip it? Hmmm....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 10:38:13 AM »
I still have my 2001 18" silver that I bought brand new in 2002 when we bought our house. I still use it occasionally. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 05:49:52 AM »
The C&B slate is cool for sure,  however that crimson will blush when hot! 

It is a nice color. The slate blue is cool but it was the same price as the copper. There was a copper kettle there and after seeing it up close and personal it looked far more gold than did copper. They also had a green which I liked as well, the deciding factor being they still had a Crimson in the box. I like putting my own stuff together.

Ultimately every place I could find online, in stores, etc. wanted the same $439.00 for a Deluxe  regardless of color. This place had them for $349. I bought the Weber cover at the same time and it was still less than the grill alone from the other places. 

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 06:00:24 AM »
Last January I bought a new Weber Performer Deluxe(Green) from a Weber Authorized Dealer here in the Country of Costa Rica. I paid $550 out-the-door and to make room for my new kettle I gifted my three(3) year old Weber Mastertouch to my good neighbor and friend.  As of today I remain one-happy Weber Customer.