Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM 18 accessories?  (Read 10667 times)

chigolf

• Smokey Joe
WSM 18 accessories?
« on: July 02, 2020, 08:47:00 AM »
Just picked up a wsm18 my first. What accessories are must haves? Thanks

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: WSM 18 accessories?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »
charcoal and meat, that from someone that doesn't own a WSM LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

chigolf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 08:55:41 AM »
 :) thanks I figured that
charcoal and meat, that from someone that doesn't own a WSM LOL

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 09:41:23 AM »
Just picked up a wsm18 my first. What accessories are must haves? Thanks
Long bbq gloves
Bins for wood
Remote probes
Instant read thermometer
Butcher paper
Beer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

chigolf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 09:58:23 AM »
I want to hang ribs so I ordered the hunsaker rib hanger. Can't wait to try it out. Do I need to get a new door or will the factory one work good enough?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 10:40:17 AM »
I want to hang ribs so I ordered the hunsaker rib hanger. Can't wait to try it out. Do I need to get a new door or will the factory one work good enough?

I recommend trying the stock door and see how you like it.  If you want a better seal you might look at the Lavalock or the Cajun Bandit doors.  I have a Lavalock and love it.  No smoke coming out at me and no mess all over the side of the smoker. 

As far as accessories, first and foremost is a thermometer that will check grate level temps and meat temps.  I have the Maverick XR-50 and like it really well.  Inkbird also makes one that gets good reviews, displays on your phone and doesn't break the bank.  It's always good to have heat proof gloves around and of course tongs for meat and charcoal.  A good tray to carry things to and from the smoker is handy as well. 

Mods are another thing to consider.  Many opinions here, some swear by bare bones stock with no mods.  Some (like me) enjoy tricking out the smoker with every mod and convenience available.  Recommended to try it out as is and see what you think you may be lacking.  You may love it as is right out of the box and there's nothing wrong with that.  Enjoying it is the most important thing.  Have fun!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
WSM 18 accessories?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
Cook with that baby as is and see how you like it.

Honestly...they don’t need much (if any) modification to make great food. My dads 18WSM is bone stock. He uses a Gateway 30 gallon hanging rack inside occasionally and that’s it. Best upgrade you can make is a digital probe/grate combo thermometer (Thermoworks, Maverick, etc.).

Stock door is just fine. I’ve had CB doors and stock ones...the difference is negligible. My main WSM has a stock door and lava lock gaskets and it cooks well.

If you’re hanging ribs...trim them a little and start with the minion method. Shoot for 275-300.

One tip...don’t leave the lid off for too long or temps will spike and get away from you. Ohh...line the pan with HD foil (if using the pan...probably not while hanging).

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 08:17:32 PM by Mike in Roseville »

chigolf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
Thanks I will try it out as is. I do have a thermoworks smoke. I used it when I smoked on a 22 grill it but doesn't have enough space.

chigolf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 01:52:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip on hanging the ribs.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 06:33:26 AM »
For my WSM 18" "Classic" that I bought new in the year 2008:

Good set of Gloves, Weber Tongs, Hunsaker Vortex Plate, Gateway Rib Hanger with SS Hooks, Thermopen and Thermo Smoke.

MikekiM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 05:22:25 AM »
I have a new to me 18.5 and in true form, immediately started looking at ways to mod it.  Decided to slow down and enjoy it as it is until my knowledge base catches up. 

Mine is code EE, 1999 so no hood thermometer or temp probe port.  Those were going to be my first two mods, but I am holding off on both.

I did order a gasket kit, and did the notch mod to accommodate the wires from the remote thermometer I already had.  I also have an instant read and a Meater+.

The hood hinge is on my short list as is making a better charcoal grate and basket (I have some skillz, and can weld up a new basked from expanded metal mesh.

Also going to add a second hood handle, like what you see on a 22, just to make the hood hinge easier to handle.  I may make it myself since I can.  I'll likely bend up a handle bracket and rivet it to the from edge of the hood.  I am thinking of making two wood handles (so they match) in curly maple, or maybe purple heart to match the handles I made for my vintage tongs.

Made cool-touch extensions for the vents using stainless hardware and rubber test tube stoppers.  Work great and cost me about a buck for each vent.

Bought:
A galvanized bucket with locking lid for charcoal.
A pair of good gloves.
An ash rake (I think it the BGE item), which wasn't really necessary
Looking at ATC's but I am waiting on that expenditure.

Short of that.. just have at it!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 06:29:24 AM »
I have the 18 wsm.  I have a gateway rib hanger and the Cajun bandit door.  The new door is superior.   The rib hanger is fun.  Hung ribs are definitely a different flavor profile and cook faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk