Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bowl repair of a 2001 one touch platinum.  (Read 3071 times)

KirtonAlan

• Smokey Joe
Bowl repair of a 2001 one touch platinum.
« on: June 21, 2020, 07:04:02 AM »
Hi Folks,
My one touch platinum is coming up to 20 years old and the bowl is suffering where the charcoal grate support tabs are.  One has collapsed and left a rusted hole which for now I have blocked with two washers and a bolt to act as the grate support which is working fine for now.  The other grate supports are also suffering.  I was thinking of using high temp blue magic quick steel as a more permanent solution.  Does anyone here have any experience of High temp quick steel repairs?

Cheers :)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Bowl repair of a 2001 one touch platinum.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 07:23:36 PM »
I'm not inclined to use any adhesive or epoxy on the cooking parts. What color is your OTP?
You may be able to find a doner black OTP or Performer bowl, Or any bowl and add your brackets and lid bale.http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=42369.msg421114#msg421114
Another option is to put a WSM in the cart and get a new kettle!
;)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bowl repair of a 2001 one touch platinum.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 06:43:35 AM »
Use stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts to do your repair.  Any kind of high temp welding epoxy is going to introduce some kind of chemical into your cooks. 

I would advise against actual welding as well unless the kettle is in exceptionally poor condition or you have someone with some exceptional pinpoint skills to do the welding.  Generally welding will cause more porcelain to pop.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 06:45:30 AM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.