Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Performer owner, questions for owners and first cook  (Read 1830 times)

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
New Performer owner, questions for owners and first cook
« on: July 04, 2020, 05:24:46 AM »
Assembled and did first cook on my new crimson Deluxe yesterday. Very happy with it, a couple of questions.

Do you find the tool holder mostly useless? It seem like the hooks should be spread out another 6-8" and about twice as long. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement?

Second, I must be missing something. How do you hang the cooking grate in the intended slot without the gourmet insert coming out?

Overall, love the workspace, lid holder, and other features. The charcoal lighting system is fast and easy, that alone is worth the price of admission!

All set up and cooking while her older sister looks on.

First cook. Had some boneless chops in the fridge, popped them on with a combination of Weber's rub and Kinder's Buttery Steakhouse.

rc

• WKC Brave
Re: New Performer owner, questions for owners and first cook
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 07:26:41 AM »
That crimson color looks great! So do the pork chops. In order to hang your grill grate without the gbs center falling out you have to remove it. They show the center part removed in the booklet that comes with the grill. Sucks, I know.

I noticed you have the wooden grill grate cleaner, how do you like it? I was thinking about picking one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 08:28:22 AM »
Pretty sure they designed those hooks to work mostly with weber tools. I put a little raw hide shoe lace loop on tools that don’t fit easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 09:09:13 AM »
@rc I am seriously thinking about just getting a standard grate with the flip up sides. I never see myself using the gourmet system anyway. Other than the chicken cooker which looks like it increases headroom, the rest seem kind of gimicky

Love the grill grate cleaners. The biggest drawback is once they're burned in for a specific grill pattern that's the only one you can use it on. The plus side is once you have one you'll have it forever, not to mention no strands of steel or brass getting on your grill or food. The first one I got was the original and the edge was very sharp so it burned in quickly. The second and third were in a set, a large and small. The ends were blunt so I sharpened them up on my belt sander and am burning them in now. It takes a few cooks with a hot grill, but eventually they'll wrap the top half of the grate with no problem. So I have one for the Genesis, one for the kettles and one to take with me when the Jumbo Joe goes camping.

@Jtayres Kind of irritating. My favorite tongs (see photo) aren't set up for a lanyard or loop. I am going to sort out some kind of mod.

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 02:57:51 PM »
@rc I am seriously thinking about just getting a standard grate with the flip up sides. I never see myself using the gourmet system anyway. Other than the chicken cooker which looks like it increases headroom, the rest seem kind of gimicky

Love the grill grate cleaners. The biggest drawback is once they're burned in for a specific grill pattern that's the only one you can use it on. The plus side is once you have one you'll have it forever, not to mention no strands of steel or brass getting on your grill or food. The first one I got was the original and the edge was very sharp so it burned in quickly. The second and third were in a set, a large and small. The ends were blunt so I sharpened them up on my belt sander and am burning them in now. It takes a few cooks with a hot grill, but eventually they'll wrap the top half of the grate with no problem. So I have one for the Genesis, one for the kettles and one to take with me when the Jumbo Joe goes camping.

@Jtayres Kind of irritating. My favorite tongs (see photo) aren't set up for a lanyard or loop. I am going to sort out some kind of mod.

Yeah mine were similar. I popped a small hole in the end tied a loop with a good size knot and passed it through the hole using the knot as a stopper. It’s easier to pull out too if you want to toss them in the dish washer. I’ll take a pic when I get home tomorrow if you think it would be helpful.

Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 03:06:35 PM »

Yeah mine were similar. I popped a small hole in the end tied a loop with a good size knot and passed it through the hole using the knot as a stopper. It’s easier to pull out too if you want to toss them in the dish washer. I’ll take a pic when I get home tomorrow if you think it would be helpful.

Thanks, I had thought of doing that but I'm a bullhead. Even if I do the hooks are still too close. I've poke around some and there are alternatives.

Mainline

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »
I have that same grill in Crimson too. Love it.

I bought some of this leather cord to tie around a few of my BBQ tools that wouldn't fit. Seems to work great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FW789HM

The GBS center plate is a pain, but having the removable center is a big plus. The searing grate addition that fits in there is awesome, love mine.
Also, with the center piece removed you can put your loaded charcoal baskets in the middle and indirect cook your food, I do wings this way often.
Another cool thing, with the center piece removed you can rest a Wok in the circle and cook an excellent stir fry....quick and easy lunch/dinner there.

If you decide to get a standard grate with just the flip sides, I'd recommend you get a KillaGrilla stainless steel grate. They are very well built and extra heavy duty. Will probably last a hundred years! A little expensive, but won't breakdown like the basic Weber grates.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 12:14:24 PM »
The GBS center plate is a pain, but having the removable center is a big plus. The searing grate addition that fits in there is awesome, love mine.
Also, with the center piece removed you can put your loaded charcoal baskets in the middle and indirect cook your food, I do wings this way often.
Another cool thing, with the center piece removed you can rest a Wok in the circle and cook an excellent stir fry....quick and easy lunch/dinner there.

If you decide to get a standard grate with just the flip sides, I'd recommend you get a KillaGrilla stainless steel grate. They are very well built and extra heavy duty. Will probably last a hundred years! A little expensive, but won't breakdown like the basic Weber grates.

Just not interested. I can sear without that grate, I can cook indirect, I have no desire for a wok, etc. Right now it's simply a pain in the butt. I'll keep it around for a spare and maybe some day my opinion will change, but at this point I'd prefer a cooking grate that doesn't disassemble itself when I hang it up.     

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 06:06:29 PM »

Just not interested. I can sear without that grate, I can cook indirect, I have no desire for a wok, etc. Right now it's simply a pain in the butt. I'll keep it around for a spare and maybe some day my opinion will change, but at this point I'd prefer a cooking grate that doesn't disassemble itself when I hang it up.   

I agree, I want to get the slow n sear grate instead as I was majorly disappointed in the gourmet grate. The only attachment I use is the beer can chicken attachment and I think that it is poorly designed. It should sit lower and I wish it had an option for a vented stand since the cup hinders cooking. (Beer can chicken is a myth. I just use it as a stand for up right roasting.) none of the other attachments are interesting to me.

Ashley Coalburn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 12:35:27 PM »
Odd you say that about the chicken roaster, that was the only one I thought would be worth it! LOL. Oh well. Agree on beer can chicken. Check the liquid level of the can when you're done and you'll likely find more than when you started. But people like it and will debate, so who am I?

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 02:17:01 PM »
I inject my “beer can” chicken and then roast it on the roaster but with nothing in the can part. I’d like to modify it to get rid of the can. It works but I thought it would sit lower.