Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red LE Wheel Mod  (Read 4347 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Red LE Wheel Mod
« on: June 25, 2020, 06:35:14 AM »
This may well fall under the grills gone wrong thread, but I decided to tinker with my red LE a bit.  Had to cut the triangle supports closest to the wheels and still have some work to do to reattach.  Also need to bring the front suspension up by about .5 inch unless I want to keep the jacked up look.  Anyway, here it is - be gentle lol......

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Red LE Wheel Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:36:31 AM »
I like, no hate here
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:04:43 AM »
I’m diggin’ it too!!!   Looks much better than the factory wheels. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 07:07:50 AM »

I love the LE factory wheels!  That being said, this is a pretty rad mod.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 07:28:00 AM »

I love the LE factory wheels!  That being said, this is a pretty rad mod.
I should’ve specified “better on the LE than”.  I like the design of the factory wheels, but they’re too dark for such a bright kettle (IMO).  I’m saving my set for when I find a black flat top 26

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 08:21:40 AM »
Cut the half inch off of the back legs?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 08:24:09 AM »
Cut the half inch off of the back legs?

No, used a larger front rubber leg cap with some wadding in it.  Much easier!

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 02:07:19 PM »
I  love it when a plan comes together!

GlockRocker

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 02:41:28 PM »
Awesome, I would love to do something similar to mine. Nice look.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Old CWO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 09:38:54 AM »
I was scrutinizing those exact wheels on Amazon recently.  All my kettles are black and everyone knows black hot rods are supposed to have red wheels.  Decided against it as the wheels I have are perfectly serviceable and it would mostly be a cosmetic change.  Seeing your photos I may have to circle back on the idea. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »
I was scrutinizing those exact wheels on Amazon recently.  All my kettles are black and everyone knows black hot rods are supposed to have red wheels.  Decided against it as the wheels I have are perfectly serviceable and it would mostly be a cosmetic change.  Seeing your photos I may have to circle back on the idea.
This is the one kettle that I tend to use the most and have had a lot of fun with it.  I got it cheap and it's not a precious vintage model so I throw a lot at it.  Aesthetically, I like the look of it and it satisfies my need to tinker and modify with a unique look.  Functionally, it's the easiest kettle I have to maneuver around the deck, yard or even beach sand.  I haven't read back through my entire original post, but I did have to modify the triangle to get these to work since the wheel hubs are wider than original wheels.  Also I had to use shaft collars and 3/8 to 5/8 bushings.  Finally I used U bolts to hold the outer-most triangle rods to the axles.  Welding would be better, but I don't have the skillset or tools for that.  I can provide a parts list if you're interested.

Old CWO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 11:05:26 AM »
I would probably just weld in a new axle shaft section of the triangle with one that is 5/8 rod and enlarge the leg holes a little.  I like using the shaft collars instead of the caps as well - I have them on my MT grill.  Thank you for the offer of help, I appreciate it.

We have a paver patio and it might be nice to put the 10" pneumatic wagon/hand truck tires on it.  Same effort required but boy would it roll easy!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 11:50:45 AM »
I would probably just weld in a new axle shaft section of the triangle with one that is 5/8 rod and enlarge the leg holes a little.  I like using the shaft collars instead of the caps as well - I have them on my MT grill.  Thank you for the offer of help, I appreciate it.

We have a paver patio and it might be nice to put the 10" pneumatic wagon/hand truck tires on it.  Same effort required but boy would it roll easy!

I saw one a while back with the larger pneumatic tires and it looked pretty tough.  I'll bet it would roll and balance easily.  And yes, I love using SS shaft collars on the axles.  It makes it so easy to take the grills apart for transport or full detail cleaning.  I put those on my Glen Blues, Ivory, and my Brownie and Red Head both with trike wheels.  Good luck with the mod if you go that direction.

Samuel

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 10:31:57 PM »
Have you got a link to those 3/8 id to 5/8 od bushings

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Red LE Wheel Mod
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2022, 03:38:06 AM »
Have you got a link to those 3/8 id to 5/8 od bushings
You have to choose length. I chose 2 1/4”

https://www.aa-mfg.com/product/aa-585-spacer-bushing-5-8-od-3-8-id/