Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help me figure out what is wrong with my ashcan  (Read 1954 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Help me figure out what is wrong with my ashcan
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:51:15 AM »
So this green OTG is giving me problems. I don't remember noticing this when I picked it up a couple weeks go. When I put the ash can into its holder, I can't turn it to lock it in place very well. Once I get it locked in place,  it is even harder to unlock. Someone out of alignment but I can't figure out what.

The next two photos you can see that it is tight to the bowl on one side of the leg but on the next side of the leg it isn't tight at all.

-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help me figure out what is wrong with my ashcan
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:55:09 AM »
I have had a few of those and I have tried to figure out the secret sauce on what it takes, barring a new ring to fix it.   I seems to me the ring is no longer a perfect circle and rubs with the pan. 

That is frustrating for sure.

Anyone else have this issue?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 04:36:13 AM »
Tim, I bet your collar is out of round. The bottom of your ashpot should still be reasonably round so try this: take off the grates and ash pot. Flip the kettle over. Now try to insert the bottom of the ashpot into the collar upside down. You should see where it's tight. Also it's possible that the lower portion of the collar below the one touch handle has bent downwards and inwards making the pot a tight fit. Try bending it back as best as you can.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 04:49:19 AM »
Hmm. You are probably right. When I brought this grill home, I had taken the legs off and set it in the trunk on the empty ring. I bet it leaned over and bent it. I hope I can get it fixed up.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »
I have the same problem with the 2007 Performer that I picked up a couple of weeks ago.  I installed a new ash can ring that I had and it does the same thing with the new ring.  It worked fine before I actually installed the ring on the bowl and was test fitting the can to it but when it's installed, then I have a problem.  I tried messing around with it but can't get it to work right.  I will be interested to see if you fix yours.

Wayne

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »
I have the same problem with the 2007 Performer that I picked up a couple of weeks ago.  I installed a new ash can ring that I had and it does the same thing with the new ring.  It worked fine before I actually installed the ring on the bowl and was test fitting the can to it but when it's installed, then I have a problem.  I tried messing around with it but can't get it to work right.  I will be interested to see if you fix yours.

Wayne

Try bending your ash can leg tabs in a bit. There could be extra spring force pushing on the collar and deforming it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »
I did try pushing on the tabs toward the leg sockets but they spring back so I may try taking the ring back off and pushing them in before I install it.  I learned that if you push the tabs toward the middle of the ring, the pan rubs on the tabs.

Wayne

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »
Could this not be a case of the bar not holding the ring "tight" enough against the bottom of the kettle?