Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe Paella  (Read 1928 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Jumbo Joe Paella
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:00:28 AM »
Camping this weekend - cooked Paella for 4.  The jumbo joe works perfectly with a 16" paella pan, leaving just enough room for air to vent out around the sides of the pan.  I used half a Weber chimney starter with Kingsford - perfect heat.  For recipe, I use Tyler Florences Paella recipe (can be found on the food network site).  Cut the rice down to 2 cups, and assuming you are using good bomba Paella rice, you will need 5 cups of liquid.  We had just enough left over to cook up some fried rice the next morning for breakfast.

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Jumbo Joe Paella
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:02:11 AM »
Fantastic!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »
<goes off to Google "16" paella pan">

And yes that does look fantastic. I've been hemming and hawing around for gill pan ideas and this looks really good. It's got fairly deep, but not too deep sides, and handles.

But I gotta ask, wouldn't it be better to have that size pan on a 22 so you can maybe close the lid?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Craig

• WKC Mod
Jumbo Joe Paella
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
Thanks to Shaun, I have discovered the versatility of these. I use mine all the time. The one I have fits on the SJ, 18 & 22. I can measure it when I get home from work.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »
wouldn't it be better to have that size pan on a 22 so you can maybe close the lid?

Closing the lid is not necessary for Paella - in fact it is a dish "traditionally" cooked over an open fire.

If you were going to use a Paella Pan for something else where the lid of your kettle would need to be closed, then you would need to take into account the handles of the pan when measuring for the right size pan.
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
I need to get me one of those pans. Is quality important? I've seen them as low as $10.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »
<goes off to Google "16" paella pan">

+1

Dude, relax your chicken.