Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Taking care of weber cast iron accessories ???  (Read 696 times)

Philipb

• Smokey Joe
Taking care of weber cast iron accessories ???
« on: May 28, 2020, 05:29:16 AM »
I have a weber gourmet sear grill and griddle

They are both porcelain coated cast iron and the instructions say clean with a non abrasive pad.

but I am finding it difficult to clean off the baked on remains of the last cook. They need a good scrub but I an concerned I will damage the coating.

what are your experiences with these products and do you have any tips for me
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:19:14 AM by Philipb »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Taking care of weber cast iron accessories ???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 06:04:44 AM »
Hi.  I have both of those accessories too.  I use the griddle frequently.   I’d recommend buying a lodge pan scraper.  Try to clean the griddle while it’s still warm.   Or put some warm water in it to help loosen the gunk.  The sear grate is tough to clean.   I’d use a hard bristle brush.  Don’t scrape it with a normal grill brush.  It’s not necessary to clean it perfectly.   Just get the big bits off.  It’s a grill grate.

Lodge Pan Scrapers. Handheld Polycarbonate Cast Iron Pan Cleaners. (2-Pack. Red/Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039UU9UO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4o8ZEbK7F8G6P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philipb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »
I will try out the scrapers thank you
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 02:49:23 PM by Philipb »

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
On all my cast iron stuff I use the plastic scrappers like lodge has and take a scotch-bright cleaning pad with just water to scrub the small stuff after scraping. Absolutely no soap with the cleaning pad though.  I actually keep a separate one in the kitchen just for cast iron.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 08:08:00 PM »
Here's what I do, right. wrong. Whatever. If its been left out back,  get it nice and hot, I srape it off with a scrapper or wire brush. Then I get cooking oil of any kind paper towel and oil the living crap out of it both sides. Shut the lid let the oil smoke off a bit and cook

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 04:26:45 PM »
Here's what I do, right. wrong. Whatever. If its been left out back,  get it nice and hot, I srape it off with a scrapper or wire brush. Then I get cooking oil of any kind paper towel and oil the living crap out of it both sides. Shut the lid let the oil smoke off a bit and cook

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
@LiquidOcelot , the "oil the living crap out of it" comment made me chuckle out loud.    Haha!  Thanks for that.  I needed some humor today.  I don't know why it made me laugh, as it is a common phrase.   But, what is "living crap" anyway?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;