Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: If you polish your lid vents  (Read 3088 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: If you polish your lid vents
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 06:40:10 AM »
I'd never seen this post.  That's a nice idea.  Might have to pick up some polish and get to work on another mini quarantine project.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2020, 02:11:58 PM »

When restoring a kettle, I usually polish the lid vent after it has been cleaned with steel wool.  In the past, this created a mess on the porcelain around the vent.  Don't know why I didn't think of this before. Cut a sheet of paper in half and work it beneath the lid vent.  This keeps the polish from getting beneath the lid vent and all over the porcelain. It also keeps the lid vent from turning while polishing. If the lid vent is tight like this one was, the lid vent can be lifted slightly with the blade of small screwdriver. This allows the paper to be slid beneath it. To protect the porcelain, I layed a cloth on the porcelain so the screwdriver is not actually touching the porcelain.  Saves a lot of clean up and detail work.

Great point also regular all purpose flour will clean up the polish residue, that is what we use when polishing large aluminum panels on aircraft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2020, 02:15:18 PM »

@addicted-to-smoke  -  I do use a polish after I clean the lid vent with steel wool.   I use Rolite Supra 90 aircraft polish.  @zavod44  turned me onto it.  I used Mother's mag polish previously but Rolite cuts down on the polishing time. It's really expensive though.
Two others used in aviation are Never Dull, and Flitz. Also a third Metall.
All can be had at a Aviall supply at your local airport .

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
Hmmm, wonder if I can use that stuff on my pontoon tubes? Maybe with a auto-detailing buffer?

If the pontoons are aluminum, I don't see why not.  I believe they use variable speed buffers when detailing airplanes with Supra 90.
This process is used on Air Stream RV trailers,  with orbital,and cyclone buffers.

Josberg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »
Great tip with the piece of paper, I have a few kettles to clean up so I will give this a shot.  Cheers!