Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Landing a Vintage Mothership  (Read 1873 times)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Landing a Vintage Mothership
« on: May 19, 2020, 06:39:35 AM »
This acquisition was orchestrated by The Godfather himself, JEBIV, and secured by a grate Grillfella, Jon Tofte. 

I love kettle road trips and was undaunted by the 10 hour drive down to South Florida to pick up the Ranch from Jon.  After being stuck in the house for so long, it was really nice to get out and stretch our legs.  1400 easy miles there and back with the wife and dog, a cooler full of drinks and snacks, cheap gas, and beautiful weather, it was a great trip.

Upon closer inspection, the Ranch is in really good shape.  Some cancerous rot on the back handle, but otherwise intact and solid.  I fixed the caddywhompus legs immediately, and straightened out the triangle spokes and axle while disassembled.  I also had to pound out a mildly indented leg socket to level out the gangster lean. 

I am sorry for the terrible pictures, it’s been gloomy weather here lately.  But you know as soon as the weather cooperates, I’ll be dragging out all my “little” Webers to take better photos with this vintage mothership.   

Big thank you to both Joe and Jon.  The mothership is absolutely stunning and I’m so grateful to both of you. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Landing a Vintage Mothership
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 06:43:59 AM »
Wow!  That's a big ole girl there... Is the flip up grate original?  Didn't know they made those.  Very cool find and nice write-up.  Your first cook should be one hot dog on the edge for a funny scale shot.  (Borrowed from BBM on YouTube)

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 06:50:50 AM »
Awesome to see you got down there to pick her up!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 06:54:04 AM »
Wow!  Congratulations!  Looks fantastic, and I'm glad you got a road trip out of it...I've been searching so much for a nice grill to justify a road trip to get out of the house.  Love the patina on that Ranch.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 07:09:41 AM »
Awesome story.  I also love a good kettle road trip.  I love cooking on my ranch.  I am impressed the slide aside lid holder and I’ll hold up the lid!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 07:15:12 AM »
Awesome, so happy she is in her rightful home. Glad to be a "small" part of the whole deal
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
Don't know where some of you find these things, that is a really nice find.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 08:30:35 AM »
There really is something special about a MBH mothership Ranch.  So special that a fella who moved outta FL, rode tripped back to FL for one[emoji23].  Congrats Charlie!!!  Can’t wait to see more pics. 

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 08:39:55 AM »
There really is something special about a MBH mothership Ranch.  So special that a fella who moved outta FL, rode tripped back to FL for one[emoji23].  Congrats Charlie!!!  Can’t wait to see more pics. 

True !! and he is going to catch it from me for not stopping in Doraville, he knows where I live
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 08:53:57 AM »

True !! and he is going to catch it from me for not stopping in Doraville, he knows where I live
Really sorry, Joe, but ATL wasn’t on the way.  We went down 95 not 75. 

An ATL trip is coming.  Soon. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 08:58:55 AM »

Really sorry, Joe, but ATL wasn’t on the way.  We went down 95 not 75. 

An ATL trip is coming.  Soon.
Ok so your off the hook LOL

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »
Soo bad ass

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 09:59:23 AM »
Big thank you to both Joe and Jon.

You couldn't pick 2 better guys to help you out. 

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 10:19:48 AM »

Ahhhhhhh!  "The Mothership" has landed. Congratulations Charlie.  Looking forward to seeing photos of your first cook on it. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 10:24:35 AM »
Amazing!
Can’t wait to see it in action!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club