Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Advice on neglected WSM 14  (Read 23656 times)

FlyingGoomba

• Happy Cooker
Advice on neglected WSM 14
« on: April 29, 2020, 07:43:03 AM »
Hi.  I was able to snag a WSM 14 from craigslist and I'm super excited to fire it up.  However, the previous owner said he had neglected it for a year or so and would need a thorough cleaning.  After reading a bit, I think I'm going to fire it up to burn out the crud.  Then, scrape out the ash and scrub the grates and water pan.  Does this sound like a reasonable plan?  Or should I try to remove the solid stuff first?

Thanks for the help.  I'm excited to join this community!

2kewlgypsy

• Smokey Joe
Re: Advice on neglected WSM 14
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »
If you build a hot enough fire to burn stuff off, do it in the middle of a concrete driveway or patio.  If your intent is to burn off grease, know that what you are getting ready to do will likely result in a grease fire, and don’t be surprised when it happens, be prepared.  That being said, go for it, and let the grease burn, effective, for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

FlyingGoomba

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 09:01:48 AM »
If you build a hot enough fire to burn stuff off, do it in the middle of a concrete driveway or patio.  If your intent is to burn off grease, know that what you are getting ready to do will likely result in a grease fire, and don’t be surprised when it happens, be prepared.  That being said, go for it, and let the grease burn, effective, for sure.

Thanks for the feedback.  Since I'm not sure what exactly is in the water pan, I guess I'll scrape out/wash it as best I can then burn it out. 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »
No different then cleaning up a kettle.
Razor blades, cider vinegar, dish soap and 4/0 steel wool. Look at the restoration pages.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 06:45:57 PM »
If it's a newer one you might burn out your grommet trying to clean it with fire

carylee2002

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 12:32:45 AM »
I try to scrap out the old creosote with a good wire brush. I've used dawn soap because of the grease build up and a good wire scrubby and got all the edges clean. Then I've had good luck using old coffee and using it as a cleanser...It only leaves the coffee smell and also seams to neutralize old grease buildup. I then go back and reseason the pit and go from there.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 07:46:49 AM »
Razor blade is the quickest way to get down to porcelain

andrewshrm

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 03:25:45 PM »
I've razored my 14 a few times... the trick is that the bowl diameter on the 14 is so small that it's tough to get the straight blade to really hug the contour.  Not so on the middle section, just the top and bottom so take your time on those.  Even still, eventually it all shaves off.  Depending on how far you disassemble it, you can also do an ammonia soak on the hardware or even replace some of the screws.  Besides a good cleaning, think about putting a door gasket kit on.  The Southco Lift and Turn Latch from Cajun Bandit is also a great upgrade.

AmirMortal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 01:21:06 PM »
I used oven/grill cleaner, a nylon bristle brush and a pressurized garden hose to good effect on my 14.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 08:05:19 AM »
I use the same steps for a WSM  kettle,and even a gas grill.
Dawn, simple green, razor blades (change often) four O steel wool,or SOS pads, i also use a plastic,and flexible steel putty knife, brushes narrow ,nylon,and steel.
Garden hose with adjustable spray.
For grates I soak in a water heater catch pan ( HD,or Lowes ) i like the metal ones best.
As said above and in the restoration area. Take your time put th e grates in for a soak first and by the time you are done with the rest your grates will be soft and very is to clean up.
Also as I am tall I like to work over a trash can with a garbage bag as a liner makes clean up a breese.
It always amazes me how a couple hours of scraping and scrubinglistening to the radio
Can make a Weber of any type look almost new again.
And as said this is a good time to replace old hardware with new stainless steel ones.
And install gaskets, bend adjust door, and do any mods you always wanted but it was to greasy to work on.
I love restoring Webers of any type as I love quality.
Keep on cooking and smoking.
I used oven/grill cleaner, a nylon bristle brush and a pressurized garden hose to good effect on my 14.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app