Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wok...simplicity  (Read 1062 times)

Blackrobe

• Smokey Joe
Wok...simplicity
« on: April 29, 2020, 06:09:50 AM »
I’d like to get a wok and am looking at one of these

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/town-34720-20-hand-hammered-cantonese-wok/88534720.html

I’d like to get something that doesnt need the entire bbq system with new grates, etc.
Can I set this right on the grates, with my baskets full and set up for direct heat?

Does anyone do that with their wok?
Thanks

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: Wok...simplicity
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 07:03:44 AM »
If you have the Weber 8835 Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate that Wok may work. I would look for the Weber Factory 22 1/2" Kettle Charcoal Grill Stainless Steel Wok 8412 this would also work.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 07:22:57 AM »
Cast iron or stainless woks are perfectly fine but high carbon wok is not really practical to be used in a charcoal kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 07:25:56 AM »

Cast iron or stainless woks are perfectly fine but high carbon wok is not really practical to be used in a charcoal kettle.

Why?  Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Blackrobe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 07:35:31 AM »
If you have the Weber 8835 Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate that Wok may work. I would look for the Weber Factory 22 1/2" Kettle Charcoal Grill Stainless Steel Wok 8412 this would also work.

Do not have.
I’m looking for something to use with just the original 22” grate, or something to just take the grate off and set the wok in. Goal is to not have to purchase a bunch of accessories just to use one accessory.

Perhaps its not possible?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 07:43:47 AM »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 08:12:49 AM »
I don’t see why the Cantonese wok wouldn’t work, although I think you’d need the stand as well so it wouldn’t roll around. Baskets underneath would give you direct heat. Use an old grate so you don’t burn up a nice one.

Or get the 24” wok and don’t use a grate or baskets. Or use the 20” on an 18” grill.

Use folded up foil (or something more ingenious) to use as standoffs to give an air gap between the bowl and wok.

Then show us pictures of it in use!

Dude, relax your chicken.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 08:16:34 AM »
And those cowboy woks, or discadas, are nice!

I have a homemade one that fits on a Bayou burner, and a SJ - they’re fun to use.
Dude, relax your chicken.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 08:19:19 AM »

Why?  Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
You don't get much temperature control when using charcoal. High carbon requires you to  continually cycle from low to very temp in an instant, which can't be easily done using charcoal.  Only workaround is to lift the wok in and out or away from the heat source.  In this case, you'll need a  smaller wok with a long handle. In general this applies to stir frying in which a high carbon is unmatched. Sure you can use it for frying, braising, boiling etc and don't necessarily have to constantly fiddle with temperature but there are much better options for those types of cooks.
Also a propane burner will reach higher temperatures than  charcoal.  You can definitely increase the temperature of lit coals but you'll have to stoke it or add wood splits/logs.
Been using a high carbon wok for over 30 years and was never satisfied  with the results using a kettle as a heat source. Ended up installing a gas burner on one of my kettle.

Blackrobe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 08:48:18 AM »
I don’t see why the Cantonese wok wouldn’t work, although I think you’d need the stand as well so it wouldn’t roll around. Baskets underneath would give you direct heat. Use an old grate so you don’t burn up a nice one.

Or get the 24” wok and don’t use a grate or baskets. Or use the 20” on an 18” grill.

Use folded up foil (or something more ingenious) to use as standoffs to give an air gap between the bowl and wok.

Then show us pictures of it in use!
24” wok with no grate sounds interesting.

Also looking at a 14” flat bottom.

BayAreaEstateTreasures

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 09:27:32 PM »
Definitely get one with a long handle.

I’d recommend a 12” or 14” and no larger than 16” for stir frying.

This shop in SF is an excellent source.

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/carbon-steel-wok-with-metal-side-handle/