Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 93 Genesis 2000 Restoration  (Read 6990 times)

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
93 Genesis 2000 Restoration
« on: April 25, 2020, 09:03:35 PM »
So how do you make a Genesis 2000 better? Add a charcoal grill of course!

Fabricated brackets with thumbscrews in case I want to dump it

To make sure no ash will hit the propane tank I added the 18" Mastertouch ash catcher

Technically it's a "convertible" in case I want to use the side burner.

Lots of custom touches added a lot of SS and red accents

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Re: 93 Genesis 2000 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 09:42:47 PM »
Wow. Well done. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122].

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:31:10 AM »
The attention to detail is amazing. Nice work!  I’m not familiar with these. What is that on the left side where the cooking grate stops short?

WeberKell11

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 03:50:57 AM »
Wow... you definitely took it to the next level! Awesome job.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 06:30:54 AM »
Extremely nice!  Would like to see how you mounted the ash catcher to the jumbo Joe.  I need to do something similar on my Woodard cart setup.  Hats off to you for the detail work here!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 06:42:29 AM »
Extremely nice!  Would like to see how you mounted the ash catcher to the jumbo Joe.  I need to do something similar on my Woodard cart setup.  Hats off to you for the detail work here!

Looks like L brackets bent to repurposed the leg bolt holes then attached to the collar of the ash catcher... but anyway please don't put a modern jumbo Joe into a Woodard cart.
Thank you for listening to my Ted talk

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 07:21:37 PM »

It was pretty easy on a JJ since there are already holes for the legs - I did have to bend up some 1/8" thick 3/4" wide aluminum bar stock tabs to reach the holes, then riveted them to the upper section of the ash catcher. Heck you could use the brackets that come with the JJ but I didn't want to rivet dissimilar metals.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 03:24:04 AM »

It was pretty easy on a JJ since there are already holes for the legs - I did have to bend up some 1/8" thick 3/4" wide aluminum bar stock tabs to reach the holes, then riveted them to the upper section of the ash catcher. Heck you could use the brackets that come with the JJ but I didn't want to rivet dissimilar metals.

Ok, thanks so much!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 03:27:44 AM »

Looks like L brackets bent to repurposed the leg bolt holes then attached to the collar of the ash catcher... but anyway please don't put a modern jumbo Joe into a Woodard cart.
Thank you for listening to my Ted talk

Well, my Woodard cart (I think it is, has not been proven) will accept an 18 inch bowl.  The bowl that came with it has a single hole in the bottom and I've powder coated it, so I'm not putting charcoal in it.  It will be used to hold ice and drinks.  I have an 18 inch jumbo joe that I sometimes put in the cart and grill small meals, just would like an ash catcher that's better than the JJ stock pan and legs hanging.  It's not a permanent attachment to the cart.  I also have an 18 inch Easterner that I can use on it, but similarly, no ash catcher system.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 06:16:06 AM »
@bamakettles I was just being a shit. Whatever you do is better than me just letting mine sit with nothing in it and a bad paint job.

Whatever you do post alot of pics! [emoji1365]

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 06:33:50 AM »
@bamakettles I was just being a shit. Whatever you do is better than me just letting mine sit with nothing in it and a bad paint job.

Whatever you do post alot of pics! [emoji1365]

Can do....have posted some before and after pics in another thread and it turned out pretty nice IMO. 

Sorry to the OP, did not mean to hijack the thread!  Back to your amazing gas/charcoal combo which I really admire....  : )

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
93 Genesis 2000 Restoration
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »
The attention to detail is amazing. Nice work!  I’m not familiar with these. What is that on the left side where the cooking grate stops short?

I’m guessing it’s a smoke box for wood. Similar to what’s on the gas Summit’s. But I don’t see any smoke holes....????

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 08:21:00 AM »

Sorry I missed your question, it's a NOS Weber "steam n chips" smoker box. They came installed on the higher end Genesis 4000/5000 grills and was an available accessory. I plan on adding a rotisserie at some point and the smoker box will be nice when doing turkey/ chicken.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

VetteDoc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 08:08:34 PM »
I pushed through the urge to keep it as a show grill with some brats today - I also added a handle on the LH side because it's a little awkward maneuvering the grill by grabbing the frame.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:37:05 AM by VetteDoc »

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 03:37:40 PM »
The detail is amazing, badass for sure.  Did you power wash the inside to get it "like new"?
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger