Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fire Pit Restore Question  (Read 3844 times)

mwmac

• WKC Brave
Fire Pit Restore Question
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:58:32 AM »
Restoring a fire pit that my son dropped off for safekeeping as he is relocating to Los Angeles.  Porcelain is in good shape but the rings and uprights are covered in rust.  My question is were rings and uprights originally aluminized or black?  I have seen various photos showing them to be silver in color and I am planning to use Rustoleum satin aluminum High Heat for the legs so that is the direction I am leaning.  However, the inside of the uprights appear to be smooth black.  Stainless hardware is ready to go and the temps are perfect for painting so I am hoping for some guidance.
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: Fire Pit Restore Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:13:18 PM »
They look to be unpainted - I'm assuming this is the style you're restoring?
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 12:30:10 PM »
Aluminized steel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 01:04:28 PM »
Agreed [emoji3516]
Alum-steel no paint

If you come across an extra heat shield, let me know. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 01:22:11 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  Sadly, no extra heat shield.  After disassembly of the rings/uprights and wire brushing by hand I can only assume a prior owner did a quality respray with black bbq paint something similar.  I am going to hit it with a wire cup brush and respray in satin aluminum high heat.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 04:57:26 PM »
Someone once mentioned they were using a pizza pan to replace a shield on one of these, or maybe a WSM, don't remember which. 

Agreed [emoji3516]
Alum-steel no paint

regards,
Hal

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 05:03:59 PM »
I happened to have a SS serving plater that works great and probably better but my co-web 19 virus makes me want to keep looking for a 15.75 in ash catcher.
Someone once mentioned they were using a pizza pan to replace a shield on one of these, or maybe a WSM, don't remember which. 

Agreed [emoji3516]
Alum-steel no paint

ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 07:35:10 AM »
Quick update:  completely disassembled the fire pit, ordered fiber washers, cleaned all rust from the uprights and sprayed with three coats of satin aluminum high heat.  Today's task is making some new handles from some cocobolo (if I can find where I put the last stick of it in my shop) or white oak.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 07:37:40 AM »
Quick update:  completely disassembled the fire pit, ordered fiber washers, cleaned all rust from the uprights and sprayed with three coats of satin aluminum high heat.  Today's task is making some new handles from some cocobolo (if I can find where I put the last stick of it in my shop) or white oak.

I had gorgeous brand new wood handles on mine.  They dried up and cracked on the first use.  It wasn't an extraordinary fire, just an average one.  I suggest you save the wood handles that are on your firepit and replace them with some reinforced plastic ones.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 11:11:38 AM »
Maybe a taco handles setup might be better.
If the fire destroyed the wood handles it’ll probably melt the plastic handles like on some kettles I have bought.
Could the wood handles you had that dried up were not the right wood to handle the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 03:11:56 AM »
If the fire destroyed the wood handles it’ll probably melt the plastic handles like on some kettles I have bought.
Could the wood handles you had that dried up were not the right wood to handle the heat?

No they are the right wood handles that came with the firepit.  Mine was brand new.  Others have reported the same issue, I'm surprised others haven't chimed in.  The plastic handles haven't been a problem and I use our firepit all the time. 
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 04:58:40 AM »

No they are the right wood handles that came with the firepit.  Mine was brand new.  Others have reported the same issue, I'm surprised others haven't chimed in.  The plastic handles haven't been a problem and I use our firepit all the time.
Hey  CaptJoe, I have a vintage pit that I am restoring. Can you post a picture of your plastic handles? Just curious what style you are using.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:30:05 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 11:31:51 PM »
I’ve had wood handles on mine for several years. Never had a problem. I did add a taco shield last spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 12:40:53 AM »
I’ve had wood handles on mine for several years. Never had a problem. I did add a taco shield last spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

That’s interesting. Mine was assembled brand new and both handles cracked on the first use. Maybe I had defective handles IDK