Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fire Pit Restore Question  (Read 3843 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Fire Pit Restore Question
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 01:30:00 PM »

I’ve had wood handles on mine for several years. Never had a problem. I did add a taco shield last spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

That’s interesting. Mine was assembled brand new and both handles cracked on the first use. Maybe I had defective handles IDK

Did you have one of the newer fire pits with the newer wood handles... I want to say they were made of bamboo...?  If that’s the case, I could absolutely see having problems.  My F-I-L had a set of those... they cracked/rotted within a year.

When I got my firepit, the handles were a bit rotted, so I replaced them with some better condition wood handles from a flip kettle.... haven’t had any issues.

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 01:55:53 PM »
My experience from having a number of the fire pits is that the bamboo handles crack in kind of long pieces, like they are think wedges glued together (which is what I think they are).
regards,
Hal

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2020, 02:15:51 AM »
My experience from having a number of the fire pits is that the bamboo handles crack in kind of long pieces, like they are think wedges glued together (which is what I think they are).

That’s how mine cracked. Went from brand new to cracked longways down the center. Could very well explain it. I still love my firepit btw. My favorite thing to do is sit by it with friends smoking cigars and drinking
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2020, 03:04:15 AM »

That’s how mine cracked. Went from brand new to cracked longways down the center. Could very well explain it. I still love my firepit btw. My favorite thing to do is sit by it with friends smoking cigars and drinking
I'm ready for some cigars and bourbon
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Cellar2ful

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2020, 07:29:18 AM »

Every time someone mentions sitting around a firepit with friends, I immediately picture the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles.

https://youtu.be/FXHkFZ-nG4Y
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 07:32:46 AM »

Every time someone mentions sitting around a firepit with friends, I immediately picture the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles.

https://youtu.be/FXHkFZ-nG4Y
TOO FUNNY
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »

I'm ready for some cigars and bourbon

:)
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 03:56:05 AM »
FWIW this was the firepit handles that came on it.  Not sure if that's bamboo or not-

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 05:43:34 AM »
Finishing making new handles out of bocote and applied a teak oil finish.  Just need to finish rehab of upper and lower rings.  Will post a pic once complete.
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

Dave in KC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »
Good info here.  I have one that I picked up last fall.  Used it a couple of times
then put away for the winter.  It has no handles, and I scored some NOS wooden
ones that I had planned to put on it.  However, seeing that some of yours cracked,
I will put on a set of handmade ones from a 18 I picked up last week instead. 

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 07:07:53 AM »
Done.  Also found a new Weber cover for it. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:35:25 AM by mwmac »

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 07:20:59 AM »
Before.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

glend123

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 07:29:25 AM »
Off topic a little but, are you supposed to put sand in the bottom of these to act as a heat sink?
22" yellow kettle, 26" brown kettle, 26" Black kettle, 22" Blue kettle, 22" red performer, 18" smoker, Ranger

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 07:42:49 AM »

Off topic a little but, are you supposed to put sand in the bottom of these to act as a heat sink?

Yessir