Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lava rocka  (Read 5428 times)

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
Lava rocka
« on: April 12, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »
Has anyone used lava rocks instead of water in the water pan? Naturally covered with foil for easy clean up.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lava rocka
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 05:26:24 PM »
Just get out there and do it. Experience is worth more than advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Caver42

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 07:29:14 PM »
Hoosier, good idea. I just like to reduce expense of something is definitely a bad idea.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 04:30:54 AM »

Hoosier, good idea. I just like to reduce expense of something is definitely a bad idea.

There as many opinions as there are different water pan methods and they all can work I assume. The idea is that a heat sink of some kind (sand, water, lava rock, balls of tin foil) can be helpful to maintain a low temperature. An empty water pan is better if higher temps are desired. You can foil the pan to make clean up easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 04:39:17 AM »
I use foil wrapped pumice stones in my water bowl, covered in foil for easy cleanup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 05:52:35 AM »
Bag of play sand is cheap if you want to try that.  I've done it once with success.  So far I've used the firedial, oversized pan with sand and oversized pan with water.  I'm liking the water the best so far, but it is fun to experiment.  Not sure what size your WSM is, but this is the same identical water pan that Cajun Bandit sells for 1/3 price.....

https://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/thun-slmb009.html