Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wanna restore and repaint my weber kettle but need some advice & assistance!?  (Read 818 times)

EvilEsBBQ

• Happy Cooker
So im list my info and wuestions i have hopfully some one can help. Well, my story is ive gotten a old abused kettle for free, has some chips n rusty spots, and paint scratches thats are also rusty. So ive found some high heat engine enamel paint that would work for the outside right as its upto 500 degrees which i soundly need to b gettin it hotter then that! So my questions
-Will the dulpi engine enamel paint work?
-How/where would i find the model information off this grill?
-Would i need to remove old paint first or just run steel wool over it get rust off n spray?
-How would i go about drilling a hole for a lid temp gauge without compromising or cracking the existing enamel?
-Would a clear coat after painting help n should i do or need too clear cost it?
Any advice is welcome as well as any & all help is welcome.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Post a pic or two so we know what you are trying to fix.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
As far as paint goes, engine paint won’t cut it.  Caliper paint goes to 900, and comes in glossy finish.  You’re not gonna find a clearcoat better than that.  Over time it will dull and darken though.  Independence Porcelain in Missouri does awesome work re-enameling solid kettles, and offers a lot of color options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
As far as paint goes, engine paint won’t cut it.  Caliper paint goes to 900, and comes in glossy finish.  You’re not gonna find a clearcoat better than that.  Over time it will dull and darken though.  Independence Porcelain in Missouri does awesome work re-enameling solid kettles, and offers a lot of color options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing for the price of new enamel, a brand new upgraded kettle could be purchased...with full warranty.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

EvilEsBBQ

• Happy Cooker
Below is upclose of the spots ive uses some steelwool to clean up the just over .25 size hole, plus the lid is warped ive figured out, ill look at caliper paint, like i said this is free so if its gonna b 100ish n parts then yeah id just lean toward buyin new unabused!

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
If you're close to Cincinnati and wanna get rid of your old abused kettle I'll take it off your hands! [emoji41]
Below is upclose of the spots ive uses some steelwool to clean up the just over .25 size hole, plus the lid is warped ive figured out, ill look at caliper paint, like i said this is free so if its gonna b 100ish n parts then yeah id just lean toward buyin new unabused!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

29tx

• Smokey Joe
If you're close to Cincinnati and wanna get rid of your old abused kettle I'll take it off your hands! [emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Same for if you're near Arizona, can you post a picture of the whole grill?

avega2792

• WKC Brave
Don’t know that it would be economically feasible to re-enamel a kettle. Just keep it clean and use it. This is a 75 that I picked up for free with some heavy enamel damage. It’s solid as far as I can tell and it’s quickly becoming my go to grill despite my preference for the one touch system. Even though I just got a nice gas assisted performer I still cook on this one almost exclusively.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Just spot treat with cooking oil or touch up the outside with paint. Do not paint the inside or the whole kettle.  If the lid is slightly warped you can gently try to reshape it.  I would recommend using a tape measure to find width that is most narrow and making gentle pulls out on those sides by hand. 

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

bhart1518

• Happy Cooker
If anyone has used caliper paint to touch up rusty spots please post a photo or two sewe can see the results.

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
I like the idea of using caliper paint but getting a good color match would be tricky (black being the exception)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club