Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Favorite "Healthy" Cooks  (Read 872 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Favorite "Healthy" Cooks
« on: March 03, 2020, 12:57:56 PM »
Anyways I have been losing weight doing a low carb keto style diet while eliminating as much sugar as possible.  Happy to say that in about 2 months I am down from 205ish lbs to 183 lbs.  I am not getting into details, but if anyone is curious I am happy to discuss.

Anyways my new phase of this is incorporating some new cooks to the menu using fish, veggies, and/or salad.  I am sort of moving towards a Medaterrainean low carb diet.  However, my wife and I are not really fish eaters so creativity is appreciated. 

I think we are going to try the popular Peruvian chicken recipe and substitute with salmon to start. Asparagus is also a current favorite.

Any ideas or recipes are appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Favorite "Healthy" Cooks
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 01:05:48 PM »
We roast assorted veggies in the oven with oil and seasonings. It’s always good and low carb.

I grill a lot of salmon and recently got a slotted stainless pan for more delicate fish shrimp and veggies.

Stir fry with riced cauliflower or cabbage instead of rice.

Zucchini noodles are substituted whenever possible.

Smash burgers with no bun or a lettuce bun. (I do miss the bun)

Mashed cauliflower is always a winner

I also make stir fry ground beef and or pork and cabbage with soy sesame oil ginger garlic and carrot . It’s excellent. Basically an egg roll stuffing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »
We like whole green beans cooked with a lite spritz of olive oil and a hint of salt.  We cook them in an air fryer or saute them in a pan.  They're like healthy french fries.  We also do asparagus in a similar fashion.  Want a real grilled treat?  Try grilled Mahi Mahi.  It won't fall through the grates and takes on amazing flavor on a gas or charcoal grill with little seasoning needed.  If you like spicy, try a blackening spice.  All that being said it is tough doing without bread - for me at least.  And pasta....my wife is Italian so there's always lots of cooking going on including pasta.  Our next experiment is spaghetti squash chicken parmesan.  Looks like a fun recipe and will share if it's any good.  ; )

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »
Many weeks my lunches consist of a grilled chicken breast with a side salad. I'll grill up the boneless/skinless breasts and portion out the salads on Sunday. Chicken is great because it takes flavors so well. Even though it's the "same" thing each week, the variety of spices and marinades I can throw at it keep it from getting tiresome. Plus salad offers nearly endless variation with different veggies, fruits, and seeds. I keep things simple and healthy by squeezing a lemon wedge over my salad in lieu of using a dressing.

Grilled asparagus is great. I haven't quite unlocked the secrets of grilling Brussels sprouts, though. I may try shredding them finely and sauteeing them with a bit of olive oil; using them in a Cooking With Fire Asian slaw recipe worked out great. Why not try adding a bit of fire to the process? 

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 04:18:32 AM »
This count? She’s a Healthy cook. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 04:41:59 AM »
My family likes chicken kabobs with peppers and onions.  The chicken can be marinated a million different ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 06:42:36 AM »
Hey RR, good for you and your lifestyle diet.  My wife did a very similar (still off most carbs) and lost quite a few ## and looks fantastic.  Wish I could say the same for me.  We eat a lot of grilled foods without many, if any sauces etc, just the goodness of rubs and brines.  From a veggie perspective there are four staples that seem to stay in the rotation often. 

Roasted cauliflower (tossed with a little EVOO, salt and pepper, or the seasoning of your choice, roasted in preheated 450 oven/pit for about 20 minutes, tossing half way through and sprinkle a little parm cheese before finishing the remaining time), roasted broccoli (very similar cook to the cauliflower, but with a squeeze of fresh lemon over the top just before serving), roasted Brussel sprouts ( tossed with quartered shallots, EEVO and a little of the bacon fat if the bacon was cooked in a pan, a little pepper roast about 15 minutes add already cooked bacon, toss and roast additional 10-15 minutes).

We also really like sautéed spring mix salad.  In a saute pan heat EVOO add a little garlic and cook about 30 seconds, add a couple of big handfuls of spring mix to the pan.  Use tongs or whatever you have to quickly toss the spring mix in the oil and garlic.  Top with shred parm cheese if you like parm cheese.  Key is to not allow the mix to stay in the pan too long.  Just a quick toss to cover the mix and to not have it wilt too much.  If you like it more like traditional sautéed spinach by all means keep it on the heat longer. 

These all go well in our house, hope it gives you a few more ideas.  Good luck with the diet, and congrats on the success so far.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Favorite "Healthy" Cooks
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 07:02:37 AM »
I went and had gastric bypass in oct, 2018. I’ve gone from 460 to 310, so far. My healthy eating is no sugar, no bread, pasta, rice. Lots of protein...chicken, turkey, even red meat. Some pork. A lot of protein shakes with soy/nondairy milk and isolate protein powder. My favorite healthy grilling date pretty much any beef, kabobs, carne asada, steak, brisket, and of course tritip. I also do whole fryers, and pieces of chicken breasts and thighs.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 07:04:51 AM by bbqking01 »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Favorite "Healthy" Cooks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 09:07:39 AM »
I went and had gastric bypass in oct, 2018. I’ve gone from 460 to 310, so far. My healthy eating is no sugar, no bread, pasta, rice. Lots of protein...chicken, turkey, even red meat. Some pork. A lot of protein shakes with soy/nondairy milk and isolate protein powder. My favorite healthy grilling date pretty much any beef, kabobs, carne asada, steak, brisket, and of course tritip. I also do whole fryers, and pieces of chicken breasts and thighs.

Wow you probably feel 100% better. My boss had that done years ago and slowly started gaining but he got it back under control by walking 3 miles a day and now he has lost over a hundred pounds again. Ive been trying to make it a point to walk everyday myself. I could stand to lose 50-60 pounds.

I also eat very little carbs and sugar but beer is one of my vices.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 10:34:24 AM »
Yes I feel much much better. I was starting to have a lot of health issues...diabetes, high cholesterol, high bp, gallstones, other stuff, as soon as I had surgery, all that went away. So yeah I feel much better.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »
Boneless skinless thighs and sweet peppers. Thighs marinated in orange juice olive oil Tony’s franks and black pepper.