Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Homemade Italian Beef  (Read 1657 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Homemade Italian Beef
« on: February 23, 2020, 03:42:10 PM »
First try at homemade Italian beef.   Having grown up in Chicago, I love the stuff but never had the courage to make it myself. 

3.75 pounds of top sirloin cooked at 300 to internal of 125 F.   Rub was from amazing ribs.com’s recipe.  Let the meat cool in the fridge so I could test out my new meat slicer.  The gravy was a bit rich.  Should have added some water.   Should have sliced a bit thinner.  I am fortunate that we can get Turano bread at our local Portillos.  Good bread for this meal is tough to find in Indy.  It has to withstand being dipped in the juice. 

Not quite as good as my favorite Johnnies in Elmwood Park but I had fun trying!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Homemade Italian Beef
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »
Your italian beef looks grate Michael and the red 26er looks pretty good too.

Your right, very hard to compete with Johnnie's in Elmwood park. Very few even come close to it. I would still love a sandwich made from your homemade batch. Keep it up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »
Oh my gosh I love everything about this. What type of peppers?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Homemade Italian Beef
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
Oh my gosh I love everything about this. What type of peppers?

Green bell peppers cooked to very tender. 

The other popular topping is hot Italian giardinaire.   

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:13:39 PM by michaelmilitello »

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 05:53:25 PM »
Hell yeah! Love a good Italian beef. I’m coming up on half my life spent living in Chicago this summer. Gonna make Malcom Reed’s smoked Italian beef for my “Half-Life Chicago” party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 04:47:29 AM »
I love Italian beef, yours looks good. we have done it several times and have enjoyed it, good bread is a must for sure
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 06:50:43 AM »
Love Italian beef! Very fortunate to have Portillo's by us - make not having in-and-out burger by us tolerable! Wonder if the butcher would be willing to slice your meat for you using a deli slicer so you can get that thin slice going? Might be worth an ask?
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 07:04:49 AM »
What brand/style meat slicer did you get? do you like it ? I need to upgrade mine. @michaelmilitello
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

PKSullivan

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 08:44:01 AM »
Love Italian beef! Very fortunate to have Portillo's by us - make not having in-and-out burger by us tolerable! Wonder if the butcher would be willing to slice your meat for you using a deli slicer so you can get that thin slice going? Might be worth an ask?

I wouldn't bring cooked meat to the butcher to be sliced, personally.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 11:49:40 AM »

I wouldn't bring cooked meat to the butcher to be sliced, personally.

Dammit - good point.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Homemade Italian Beef
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 01:05:09 PM »
Health codes usually prohibit a butcher from doing that.  Seems unlikely they’d risk fines or worse. 

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Homemade Italian Beef
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 04:32:38 PM »
What brand/style meat slicer did you get? do you like it ? I need to upgrade mine. @michaelmilitello

I like it.  It will last provided I’m not too tough on it.  Reasonably powerful.  My wife got it for me with Kohl’s cash.  Lol.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:48:28 PM by michaelmilitello »

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 05:48:40 PM »
That looks great. But usually I try to get some of the meat ON the sandwich...J/K...

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 05:16:26 AM »

I like it.  It will last provided I’m not too tough on it.  Reasonably powerful.  My wife got it for me with Kohl’s cash.  Lol.

Much nicer than the one I have and don't like, reasonably priced for the home user as well

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Homemade Italian Beef
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 06:20:14 AM »
I’ve been extremely happy with nesco products. I have a 6 and 12 qt roaster that gets used for soups stews and serving pulled pork or beans. Also have the dehydrator that is the best for the money.