Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First post - new 26 kettle on the way  (Read 2166 times)

djb

• Smokey Joe
First post - new 26 kettle on the way
« on: February 21, 2020, 12:59:05 PM »
First post here although, I’ve been a long-time lurker, and you folks may be the biggest group of enablers outside of hunting forums!  Anyway, despite my wife rolling her eyes, I just ordered a 26 inch kettle.  My charcoal story….years ago I got tired of frequently replacing cheap propane grills so picked up a 22 inch kettle just for a cheap temporary stop-gap.  I ended up loving it!  Then added a Smokey Joe, then a model 210 propane (rarely used) but always felt a little cramped for space on the 22.  Well, I have a graduation party to cook for in May so needed extra space to cook pulled pork for over 100 people.  I felt like Ralphie in ‘Christmas Story’ trying to work the purchase, but finally succeeded 😊.

Anyway, 4 grills will be pushing the space limits on my deck.  I’m hoping I will love this new big boy.  So, please let me know if you 26 inch owners still use your smaller grills much, and I’d love to hear any tips/tricks for acclimating to the larger grill.  I primarily use charcoal for indirect cooking: wings, ribs, chicken, sausage, and veggies.  I still use the gas for quick cooks or for direct heat.  I always seem to overcook/burn my burgers direct over charcoal.
Thanks in advance.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First post - new 26 kettle on the way
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 01:04:49 PM »
Welcome from Indiana. I use the 26” more than any grill and I’m only cooking for 3-4 people. It’s nice to have the extra space for cooking side dishes or smoking large cuts / quantities of meats.

It’s no secret it is my favorite grill and I consider it to be the best bang for the buck of any grill. I’ve been using it going on ten years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

djb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 01:15:16 PM »
Thanks HoosierKettle.  We are neighbors (Ohio).

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »
Welcome from Plainfield Indiana. 

I’ll vouch for the 26 as well.  Awesome cooker.  You’ll love yours.  Every grillfella should have one in the stable. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »
Welcome from the Chicago suburbs.
You will love your 26"
I am usually cooking for 4 and it has become my most used cooker.
Great for indirect or direct cooks.
I do not have any direct cook pictures[emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:51:27 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Year-Round

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »
Another Hoosier here, central Indiana.  Congrats on the 26!  Enjoy!  I keep looking for a used one.

djb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 02:59:44 PM »
It's a total Mid-west crew thus far!  I guess we like big.... cookers!

There is no better way to make wings IMHO than a kettle and a Vortex.  Turn your back for a second on a propane cook/direct cook & it always turns into a flame up for me!  I hope the 26 gets as hot as my 22 did. 

I looked, and looked for a used one, then just gave up and ordered direct from Weber.

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 03:46:09 PM »
Welcome from Toledo Ohio. You’re gonna love the 26”, I’ve got two of them and most of my cooks are for 6~7.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 05:59:39 PM »
I’d love to have a 26 but have not had the opportunity over the years.  Interesting thread!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Tbagley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 04:04:13 AM »
I have a 26 and was promo'd a U-Line Weber 22 that I added an ash catch basin to, the 26 get's all the love while the 22 has be used just once when I was smoking two hams for a rather larger gathering. My neighbors 18"er set the stage for me catching this disease.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First post - new 26 kettle on the way
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 04:24:01 AM »
It's a total Mid-west crew thus far!  I guess we like big.... cookers!

There is no better way to make wings IMHO than a kettle and a Vortex.  Turn your back for a second on a propane cook/direct cook & it always turns into a flame up for me!  I hope the 26 gets as hot as my 22 did. 

I looked, and looked for a used one, then just gave up and ordered direct from Weber.

I’m in greenwood just south of Indy.

As far as getting as hot as your 22, it will mostly but needs a little help sometimes. The vents are essentially the same as a 22 so when you want to ramp your temp up, just crack the lid slightly in the front. The lid can’t fall off if something bumps it because of the lid bale so you don’t have to worry about that. I usually crack it a quarter inch. This is an essential technique to learn on the 26 but works with all sizes of course.

Once up to temp and lid fully in position and vents wide open, it will cruise around 400-450 on a chimney of coal. Where a 22 will usually be 450-500. If you want more heat, just crack the lid.

For quick direct cooks with thin cuts of meat and coals spread even, its not uncommon for me to have the lid cracked the whole time. Just depends how much meat I’m trying to cook at once.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:30:44 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 04:38:13 AM »

Welcome from the Chicago suburbs.
You will love your 26"
I am usually cooking for 4 and it has become my most used cooker.
Great for indirect or direct cooks.
I do not have any direct cook pictures[emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

That’s what I’ve been doing wrong. I’ve been running clockwise on brisket.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 04:52:09 AM »
Last month I added a new Weber 22" Performer Deluxe to my BBQ Arsenal which also includes a Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill.  I will fire-up both when needed and I bought the Weber Performer Deluxe more for the Propane Ignitor and the nice metal table.  Gook luck with your new Grill and it should provide you with a great Grilling experience.

djb

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 06:02:43 AM »

As far as getting as hot as your 22, it will mostly but needs a little help sometimes. The vents are essentially the same as a 22 so when you want to ramp your temp up, just crack the lid slightly in the front. The lid can’t fall off if something bumps it because of the lid bale so you don’t have to worry about that. I usually crack it a quarter inch. This is an essential technique to learn on the 26 but works with all sizes of course.

Once up to temp and lid fully in position and vents wide open, it will cruise around 400-450 on a chimney of coal. Where a 22 will usually be 450-500. If you want more heat, just crack the lid.

Now that's the type of pro tips I was looking for HoosierKettle!  Thank you!

Depending on the type of charcoal, I can get my 22 inch temp gauge to bottom out with the vortex and a full chimney.  It has to be in excess of 500 F.  I can sometimes go from frozen wings to done in under 45 mins.  Of course cooking on a windy February day vs a hot day in July changes things.  I'll keep the cracked lid in mind.

BTW, I just noticed the price for replacement cooking grates 22 vs 26.  Wow, there is a significant price jump.  Does Weber use a higher gauge steel for the 26 grates?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 06:43:41 AM »
The 26 grate from Weber is stainless.  It will last a long time.   The standard 22 grates are plated steel. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk