Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pimped my Used WSM 22.5  (Read 30796 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Pimped my Used WSM 22.5
« on: February 16, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
Got it cheap, upgraded to the max.... lid hinge, new front door, handles, SS water bowl, Arborfab charcoal basket, unknown BBQ temp unit holder, Cajun Bandit lower clips kit, fire dial and all nuts/bolts changed to Stainless Steel..... happy! 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pimped my Used WSM 22.5
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 09:24:15 PM »
That's pretty kick ass! 

Love that door.  Is there a gasket on it?  Between it and the body?  Between the door and the door frame?

How was drilling holes?  Any porcelain damage?

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 04:35:01 AM »
Looks brand new - enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 05:47:56 AM »
That's pretty kick ass! 

Love that door.  Is there a gasket on it?  Between it and the body?  Between the door and the door frame?

How was drilling holes?  Any porcelain damage?

Thanks!  The door comes unpainted, but with everything needed to install.  I did however buy my own stainless steel nuts bolts and washers because I never want them to rust.  Drilling was pretty easy.  I used a spring loaded center punch for the first marking and drilled using a very small bit, graduating up to a 1/4" bit.  Without the center punch it would have been difficult.  After installing the door frame I applied food safe high temp caulk (comes with the kit) small bead on the outside and a large bead on the inside to seal.  It also comes with self adhesive gasket material that goes on the frame to make a seal when the door is closed.  Also I primed and painted the exterior only with high temp engine paint which turned out pretty nice.  Can't wait to cook on it.  Funny my wife said that maybe we should bring it in the house just in case it rains.  "We want the caulk to cure correctly."  Gotta love that!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 05:48:35 AM »
Looks brand new - enjoy it!

Thanks!  Lots of plans for this one......

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 06:26:54 AM »
View of the gasket material....

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 07:26:20 AM »
View of the gasket material....

That door looks really well thought out and engineered. I like my CB door, but this is a nice step up.

You wouldn’t normally use the diffuser plate with the water pan, correct?  One or the other?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:27:54 AM by ClubChapin »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 07:38:37 AM »

Correct, I will use one or the other.  I have them in there for storage.  Will probably try lining the pan with HD foil and use sand.... I also want to compare the diffuser plate with that.  This one was missing the water bowl when I bought it and the weber replacement was more expensive than both the SS bowl and the firedial.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:40:35 AM by bamakettles »

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »
Got it cheap, upgraded to the max.... lid hinge, new front door, handles, SS water bowl, Arborfab charcoal basket, unknown BBQ temp unit holder, Cajun Bandit lower clips kit, fire dial and all nuts/bolts changed to Stainless Steel..... happy! 

What's the metal deal by the right handle? For temp probes? I'm stupid I don't know Arbrorfab .
Ryan  Andrew Moore

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 05:35:39 PM »

What's the metal deal by the right handle? For temp probes? I'm stupid I don't know Arbrorfab .

Temp unit holder, folds out and holds my maverick unit....has a magnet built in to hold it to the smoker when not in use....

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Pimped my Used WSM 22.5
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 06:10:21 PM »
Available from Cajun Bandit.....Called the BBQ Hanger

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 01:37:51 PM »
Last update/mod for now.... bbqsmokermods total control cool touch damper handles x 4. 

wildeagle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 03:29:20 PM »
That's my next thing , get a wifi temp thing. That's after my restoring is done. Totally love bbqmods

Temp unit holder, folds out and holds my maverick unit....has a magnet built in to hold it to the smoker when not in use....

Ryan  Andrew Moore

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 03:35:22 PM »
Very nice rig. I would love to have a 22. Do you have a rib hanger? 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 04:32:25 PM »

That's my next thing , get a wifi temp thing. That's after my restoring is done. Totally love bbqmods

Gotta monitor those temps!  I have 3 different brands and settled on the Maverick from snsgrills.  Amazing unit with high and low alarms.