Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Gray crooked K OTP Lamb and Buffalo burgers  (Read 2065 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Gray crooked K OTP Lamb and Buffalo burgers
« on: February 08, 2020, 04:01:25 AM »
I needed to get out of Illinois. I let the wife know we are going up north to our home “Seekin’ Sanity” to get away for a day or two.

On our was we stop near Castle Rock Lake in rural Mauston, Wisconsin to pickup some food at Wisconsin River Meats. I love and hate this place. A person could go broke trying to get one of everything. Lol. I walked out after spending only $50.00 or so, so not to bad. I ended up purchasing 1lb ground Lamb, 1lb ground Buffalo, Buffalo sticks, 2 bbq sauces, and a bbq rub.

Got home and started the sides and toppings for burgers. Onions and mushrooms for the burgers, and Spaghetti squash for the side.

Onions sliced thin and placed in small Weber tin with 1/4 stick of butter, a splash of water, and salt and pepper then wrapped in tinfoil.

Spaghetti squash Cut 1/2 and cleaned, EVOO and garlic and a pinch of salt.

Mushrooms cleaned sliced and placed into a Lodge 5SK Skillet with EVOO and a pinch of salt.

Crap! Forgot to start the grill... what grill to use???? The gray crooked K OTP with some Kingsford professional charcoal full chimney sounds like a winner to me.

Now “BURGER TIME” Lamb, Buffalo, toasted breadcrumbs, one egg, and SPG Seasoning. Into the refrigerator for 1hr so the mushrooms, onions, and spaghetti squash can get done.

I put Heavy salt on top of burgers just before going down onto the Lodge 9OG Skillet about 1hr later after

As far as cooking wellllllll...... big burgers means longer grill time that’s okay but, how to keep them moist? I got it.

1. Start on skillet once a goodly crust is formed on one side I flipped and did the other side.

2. Off of the skillet I placed off set to get stage two ready. Put the skillet directly above the charcoal and the burgers directly over the skillet on a risers. My thinking (And it worked [emoji106]) was the drippings hit the skillet and the steam rises right back into the burger.

3. Burgers coming along nicely time for my “Redneck Salamander” place burgers on offset heat and put Wisconsin thick sliced cheddar on them. Take the riser and place hot skillet on riser and let the heat from the skillet melt the cheese to perfection.

4. Plate and enjoy dinner with the wife.

Some may wonder why I didn’t really put anything into the burger like (Ketchup, onions, bbq seasoning, etc.) I didn’t because I never made this before and wanted to taste the meats W/O anything changing the taste to drastically.

Now some pictures hope you enjoy, have a great weekend everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:06:44 AM by Shoestringshop »
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Gray crooked K OTP Lamb and Buffalo burgers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 04:06:19 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed this post!  Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 04:22:44 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed this post!  Thanks!

Thanks fun to make. I like figuring out different ways to cook burgers and these were great and really tasty. My wife said “to bad you don’t have the “Salamander like on (Food Network Channel) to melt the cheese” I said no problem and the “Redneck Salamander“ was born. Lol 😂. My first time melting the cheese from above with the skillet method and I’ll use it again cheese melted perfect.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 04:38:56 AM »
What an awesome, detailed post. The burgers look great!

Side note: My wife's family had a place on Castle Rock Lake in Mausten for many years--we actually went there for the weekend after we got engaged (at Devil's Lake). Beautiful country up there, not to mention food. I miss that place.
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 04:59:25 AM »

What an awesome, detailed post. The burgers look great!

Side note: My wife's family had a place on Castle Rock Lake in Mausten for many years--we actually went there for the weekend after we got engaged (at Devil's Lake). Beautiful country up there, not to mention food. I miss that place.

I love all the different meats up here and the prices are really good compared to Illinois meat prices. Plus up here you can do a little barter and trade for venison meat with hunters. Can’t wait to move here.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 05:14:26 AM »
Wonderful post!  I love cooking burgers in different ways as well.  SO many possibilities.  Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 05:28:42 AM »
Wonderful post!  I love cooking burgers in different ways as well.  SO many possibilities.  Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

More then welcome. I know that Buffalo meat can dry out quick so I did 1:1 ratio lamb/buffalo lamb being the fat I needed. If you get a chance try it.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 06:04:18 AM »
Holy lamb and buffalo!! What an awesome cook, love all the different cook processes ! Was that a six pack cook or a little less @Shoestringshop ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 06:10:03 AM »
Holy lamb and buffalo!! What an awesome cook, love all the different cook processes ! Was that a six pack cook or a little less @Shoestringshop ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

EZ 6 plus. I believe the bottles were 1/2 full! Lol

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 09:59:21 AM »
Well planned...Excellent execution!
I know those were great burgers.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »
Looks fantastic!

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 10:45:41 AM »
Would you call these “Buffalamb” or “Lambalo” burgers?[emoji848]

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »
Looks fantastic!

Thanks turned out great

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 03:20:20 PM »
Would you call these “Buffalamb” or “Lambalo” burgers?[emoji848]

If I’d to pick.... “Buffalamb” if I was to choose. More flavors from the Buffalo than the lamb. I’ll work on that soon.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 10:30:10 AM »
you had me at "I let the wife know we are going up north to our home “Seekin’ Sanity” to get away for a day or two."
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again