Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 3lbs Boston Butt -- Never done anything like this before; best course of action?  (Read 9543 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Hey......A-to-Smoke......

Found this video that shows some stuff using baskets.....may help if you'd like to stick with that method for the time being.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaUUrc9rLmI

I'll say this. The baskets do reduce the amount of available fuel you can ignite, because the holders always take up some space near the outside of the bowl you could otherwise be filling with charcoal.

That said, at this point I'll take that tradeoff if it means not having to worry about long term effects of heat damage "crazing" to the bowl. Not that I want to resurrect that discussion here, but it's part of my reasoning for sticking with the basket. That, and it cost me $15 so I want to see what it can do.

Regarding that video. Thanks, I'd seen it but forgotten the very last part about shielding the cool incoming air from going anywhere but to supply air to the fuel, for more even heat distribution. I'd like to think the small drip pan I had under the meat partially served the same purpose. But foiling off the entire bottom save for what's under the charcoal seems like it'd be more effective yet, AND I could skip the drip pan.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

"Not that I want to resurrect that discussion here"

That's OK......I was about to ressurect it anyway....not being one to leave well enough alone.............

8:05 PM....decide to go ahead & cook for a potluck tomorrow, even though i was feeling shitty....
Hem & haw for 3 minutes, move stuff around, lite leftover coals 1/4 chimney..........
8:08 ~ 8:15, load two kettles with rings & wood...........

8:16 ~ 8:19....set in lit coals to start burn & heat cookers.....

8:19 ~ 8:29......score fatcap & rub butts......

8:30....set meat in......

Temp....225 on one, 230, the other one......this will rise as it gets rolling, shooting for 260 approx.

25 minutes to set 15# of pork........dogs are excited.....

can update, if you'd like.......

PS: those are not drip pans.....they're holding space for beans..........................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Live update:
1 kettle running at 290, shut 1 daisy vent....
Other at 280, pulled OT vent from 1/2 open to 1/3 opem

12:30 AM, beans go in........

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Damn, buckie, you are a maestro.  A true master of the craft. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience and expertise here.
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

Well, it's kinda like get it on & get it done.....roll the butts outta the package, quick rinse, no mustard or other stuff, score w/ sharp knife ( almost the only time I use a real sharp one, usually a reasonably sharp Henckels bread knife for everything else ) work the rub all around & in, it will stick & melt good enough, set, don't throw, them on the cooker......
Same on the charcoal.....dump a bunch in the mioddle & start flipping them over to pile on the edge, work around, set some blocks on top & lite.......

Most time consuming part tonite was shuffling boxes around to find the right wood chunks.....