Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: my best ribs yet....  (Read 2021 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
my best ribs yet....
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:16:31 AM »
i found ribs on sale at Kroger a few weeks ago for 1.69.  i figured that was a good price to practice some more on.  i also tested to see how long they would last in the fridge on the lowest shelf.  they cryovaced so i knew they could last a little longer.  i had them in there for two weeks... well actually a couple days over two weeks.  and they were fine.  i opened them up and no odd smell...rinsed them and let them air dry for a bit.

i am really proud of my trimming on these.  i have always had a tough time getting them to look even and like all the nice ones here.  but i think these came out really well.  i guess it just took the practice of finding that area where you need to slice.  i was done with these in just a couple of minutes. 

i gave them a mustard slather then used applewood rub on one of them and the other Weber Smokey Mesquite.  it has a bit of spice on it....so no go for little ones.  i dont know if i under "rub" them.  i know they dont look super heavily coated like most here do.  but im just afraid of overseasoning. 

here they are going on.... the trimmings up there are just season all for the boys and anyone that wanted something plain.

here they are after 3 hours.... i was really good about not peeking.  man thats hard.  at this point i slathered them up with some regular ole kraft honey bbq.  that little chunk on the warming rack up there decided to sacrifice itself .  talk about taking one for the team. 

this is them one hour later after saucing.  i didnt get a picture but i get the "bend test" now.   :) ;D 8)

these are the trimming that cooked on the warming rack.  the two boneless trimmings were on for a total of about two hours. 

sliced up.  whattttttt???  i was able to slice these up?? yes!  they always go a little too long and come out ok, but a little too tender for what im aiming for.  these were really good.  they sliced up well and had good bite to them. 

just a shot i liked.....

though you cant see it... i will be honest about something.  the bottom of these were a little charred.  nothing drastic, but i would have preferred less char on them.  i started to line my coals up nicely but then just threw them in there.  i should have taken the time to place the coals up a little better and the heat wouldnt have been so close to the ribs. 

other than that....my best yet. 

ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: my best ribs yet....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:01:08 AM »

When they buckle up, like in that 2nd to last shot & there's little open gaps in the meat, that's where the fat's rendered out & tenderized everything......your's are PERFECT !!!!

"bottom of these were a little charred"

it happens......happened to me on Dad's day a little.....pic looks worse than it actually was........

Best fix I've found is just to lay them on a sheet of foil for the last hour or so; I'll do that even if no other foiling / wrapping is involved......

Grate Job !!!!
And, good job on all the different seasonings on all the different parts....thereby pleasing all the people,  all the time !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »
Good to see you posting again, CM. And with a vengeance! nice work
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:32:33 AM »
They look delicious!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
Those are great looking ribs CM 8)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
Those ribs look amazing. Nice cook. :)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:10:35 AM »
thanks everyone.  im pretty proud of these.  i think i might just do regular ole chicken legs this wekeend though. 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »
CM, your ribs just made me cry a little. And then my stomach growled. Incredible cook, and grate photos!
One of the charcoal people.