Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hello from Long Island  (Read 1150 times)

candylineup

• Happy Cooker
Hello from Long Island
« on: January 22, 2020, 10:36:14 AM »
We have a Performer in Crate and Barrel Green, which was our first entry into the kettle game, maybe 10 or so years ago.
We got a 22 inch WSM about 7 years ago, and we do our thanksgiving turkey on it every year.
Just picked up an 18" one touch silver (i think?) for our camping adventures.

We used to tote around our performer everywhere but when we got a new pickup that has a hard bed cover we wanted to get something that would fit under the cover. We initially tried some little $30 4 burger special from home depot, which was passable, but had no room for coals and no room for a hot side and cold side, so on our trip in the fall I was at an Ace Hardware getting batteries, and they had a row of 18 inch kettles lined up, assembled and ready to go, I grabbed a tape measure off the shelf, went back and forth to the truck a few times and determined it would fit under the cover if I laid it down, so I left with one. Definitely an impulse purchase, with a tad bit of buyers remorse but it works and is small enough AND big enough at the same time. Not nearly as convenient as the performer but we have some mods in mind to change that a bit. The big positive of course is that it does not take up half of the pickup bed and doesn't take 2 people to get it in and out.

I finally joined the forum because of the mods i have in mind and looking around to get some ideas as well as ask for opinions and advice, as well hopefully post some pictures to show it off when we finally do some mods.

-Jeremy

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hello from Long Island
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »
Welcome aboard from Highland Park, IL! Like you, I joined to learn and ask for opinions and advice. If it wasn't for this group, I'd have never added some very useful mods to my 22".
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
Welcome to the club!!!

Greetings from Greendale, WI.  You’ve come to right place for research...& kettle addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 11:21:47 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. You have definitely come to the right place and thanks for joining the addiction
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »
Welcome from Plainfield Indiana!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 01:19:29 PM »
Welcome from Huntsville, AL the Rocket City!  Grate group of people here, friendly and eager to help.  Would love to see pictures of your grills and cooks!

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 04:43:00 PM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago, IL!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 06:00:16 PM »
Welcome from sunny Arizona!
There are plenty of great mod ideas around here for making an 18.5 more portable. You will definitely have fun with this project.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

MadGasser

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 01:27:58 AM »
Welcome from Champaign Illinois.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

candylineup

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 04:45:42 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I guess i wasn't automatically subscribed to the thread so i was surprised when i came back!

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 09:13:24 PM »
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
View to a Grill on YouTube

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 07:10:46 AM »
Welcome from Melrose Park, ILL
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 07:40:03 PM »
Welcome from the NW side of Chicago.
Wait until you find out that the Jumbo Joes are also 18", but a lot shorter. 
regards,
Hal