Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just found this kettle on the curbside...  (Read 2927 times)

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
Just found this kettle on the curbside...
« on: January 12, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »
So the wife and I were coming home a couple hours ago. It was on the darker side of dusk and I saw what looked to be a broken down kettle at the curbside about a block from our house. Went back to check it out...Damn you guys! :-) 3 months ago I would’ve driven by without a second thought. But now that kettle is in my garage.

It’s a D code, formerly black, now faded to light gray. Both metal bowl handles are intact and well attached, as are all the daisy wheels. But there is a pretty sizable gouge in the bowl that has rusted, and 2 of the 3 leg mounts have a weld tab or two rusted through. The spot welds on all the grate holder straps are all rusting through too.

From the burnt pine needles that were in it, it seems it was last used as a fire pit. Cook grate is pretty nasty and gunked up, had some mold on it. But also seems heavier than the newer ones. Probably an older grate from when they were real Stainless, but I’m not sure it’s original to the kettle.

Is this worth anything?

I really have too many projects going already, so I’ll most likely sell this if it’s worth anything, otherwise give it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Just found this kettle on the curbside...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 05:16:34 PM »
Yeah, I put it there this morning so it could get some sun, can you give it back please?... that’ll cook just fine, sweet score!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 06:20:03 PM »
It's only real value is that it would make a good cooker. Certainly worth grabbing if it is free.  If you get a black that has painted on white walls, rubber tires, or even better a metal lid handle you have something a little more valuable even if it is just for parts. 

Have fun with it!

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 06:25:25 PM »
With respect to how much it is worth, it probably depends on the local market.  In Chicago, I'd say you got it for a fair price given it's condition & age.  Basically, it isn't really anything special around here.  I'd give it to anyone who is willing to fix it.  It looked like it didn't have a date code, but has the large tab embossed lid vent, so it looks like a 1978, so someone with that birth year may be more interested in it.

I don't believe the grates for the 22 were ever SS as standard, so IF it is actually SS, I'd keep the grate as that would probably be the main value.  Good luck.

So the wife and I were coming home a couple hours ago. It was on the darker side of dusk and I saw what looked to be a broken down kettle at the curbside about a block from our house.

Cook grate is pretty nasty and gunked up, had some mold on it. But also seems heavier than the newer ones. Probably an older grate from when they were real Stainless, but I’m not sure it’s original to the kettle.

Is this worth anything?

I really have too many projects going already, so I’ll most likely sell this if it’s worth anything, otherwise give it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:30:43 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »

It's a great example of weathered warrior, deserving of being saved and used by someone local hopefully.  Seeing the lid vent with where the D is stamped, it appears to fit the description of a 1982 kettle as described in the WKC age guide.  Although kind of an oddity and not seen very often, it doesn't hold much value.

Quote from the WKC age guide:

"†: There are no true “D” code only kettles or WSMs known to exist. There are examples of 1981 “C” code Weber’s that have been seen with a small “D” stamped near or on the opposite side of the “C” stamp. These examples are believed to be the actual 1982 kettles and WSMs.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
WOW!  I missed the date code.  I'll blame it to being so damn far on the edge, as opposed to my eyesight not being what it used to be. 
Maybe you ought to just add it to your "to do" list.

It's a great example of weathered warrior, deserving of being saved and used by someone local hopefully.  Seeing the lid vent with where the D is stamped, it appears to fit the description of a 1982 kettle as described in the WKC age guide.  Although kind of an oddity and not seen very often, it doesn't hold much value.

Quote from the WKC age guide:

"†: There are no true “D” code only kettles or WSMs known to exist. There are examples of 1981 “C” code Weber’s that have been seen with a small “D” stamped near or on the opposite side of the “C” stamp. These examples are believed to be the actual 1982 kettles and WSMs.
regards,
Hal

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 05:07:54 AM »
Take a close look at the vents on the kettle for another date stamp, D should have wood handles on the kettle, since C was the first year for 3 wood handles on all 22s.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:45:11 AM »
Take a close look at the vents on the kettle for another date stamp, D should have wood handles on the kettle, since C was the first year for 3 wood handles on all 22s.

Maybe a replacement lid?
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 09:45:46 AM »

I have a red 18 with metal bowl handles and C/ D bottom vents
It also has a B code lid with one screw hole and a one and only wood handle.
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »
It don't see any markings on the bottom vent wheels, although they are fairly dirty and a little corroded. I could try to clean them off some later. Are there always markings there?

If anyone in or around St. Louis is interested in this, PM me. Otherwise I'll probably put it on CL next weekend.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:28:45 AM by KevinInStL »
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 01:58:05 PM »
All I know is that it looks freaking cool lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 02:14:59 PM »

I have a red 18 with metal bowl handles and C/ D bottom vents
It also has a B code lid with one screw hole and a one and only wood handle.
18s didnt get wood kettle handles til E (83) IIRC. I think the old catalogs have accurate info on that.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
It don't see any markings on the bottom vent wheels, although they are fairly dirty and a little corroded. I could try to clean them off some later. Are there always markings there?

If anyone in or around St. Louis wants this, PM me. Otherwise I'll probably put it in the CL Free section next weekend.
No they dont all have the ID on the kettle vents but frequently on at least one vent.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 02:17:57 PM »

Maybe a replacement lid?
Ya Id say so

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »
All I know is that it looks freaking cool lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
It is a very cool grill Id have a hard time letting it go.