Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to me PK Grill!  (Read 8187 times)

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
New to me PK Grill!
« on: December 26, 2019, 05:20:27 PM »
I recently picked up an old pk grill from my in laws. From the little info I'm able to find about it, I think it dates to early to mid 50's. It has a crusty cooking grate that I think is saleable but no charcoal grate. I'm in the process of cutting a new one for it. Its in really great shape for sitting outside the last 40ish years rarely being used. I plan on taking it apart, cleaning everything, polishing the frame, and replacing all the nuts and bolts with SS hardware. I'd love to paint the capsule either a bright blue or red, but the origional finish is in such good shape I don't know if i can bring my self to do it! Anyone else here use a PK? How do they compare to a kettle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: New to me PK Grill!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »
I almost bought a couple at this estate sale, could have got one for 37.50 and one for 20, I probably should have got them

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 05:38:36 PM »
Cool grill and durable as hell.  Definitely a keeper.  Pk started at nearly the same time as Weber in the 50s.  That’s Americana right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 05:50:20 PM »
I’m not a PK collector but I would encourage you to not paint the grill. Member @swamprb is all about PK and would be a good resource if you have questions.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 07:19:40 PM »
Thank you for the contact! I'm sure I'll have questions when I get time to dig into it.
I’m not a PK collector but I would encourage you to not paint the grill. Member @swamprb is all about PK and would be a good resource if you have questions.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
New to me PK Grill!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »
I saw that posted on the PK page, that’s a nice find! I’ve restored a few PK’s but not up on all the names of the various models. What I do like is the side intakes on your model. I’ve got a Club that was made by PK and it has the same type. As far as painting it, the jury is out, you’ll find pk guys that have had success and others not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »
@swamprb How do the side vents perform with low and slow? I'm excited to play around with it and see how different charcoal setups work with it.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:35:59 PM by Zrschaef »

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 05:56:07 PM »
Terrible pictures but I finally finished cleaning this thing up. I didn't do anything to drastic. I cleaned and polished the frame, cleaned the capsule with acid based cast aluminum cleaner, and replaced all the hardware with stainless. I also decided to test fit the aluminum side table I cut at work. I still need to clean it up and get it polished. 

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 06:21:58 PM »
Cool! I wouldn’t pass that up

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 07:29:20 PM »

Terrible pictures but I finally finished cleaning this thing up. I didn't do anything to drastic. I cleaned and polished the frame, cleaned the capsule with acid based cast aluminum cleaner, and replaced all the hardware with stainless. I also decided to test fit the aluminum side table I cut at work. I still need to clean it up and get it polished. 

If you can make another one of those tables. I’ll be interested in buying it.

ISO Red Outrider.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »
That’s a really nice PK and you did a good job cleaning it up. It’s cool that it’s been in the family for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 04:35:08 AM »
Very nice.  I really love my PK grills.  I recently did ribs on a 22” Weber and on a PK.  Only difference was fewer vent adjustments on the PK, but both performed as expected.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 05:01:19 AM »
Very cool grill.  Nice job.  Pk is another nice piece of backyard Americana. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zrschaef

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 05:35:49 AM »

I was lucky enough to find that piece of aluminum in the scrap bin,  we usually don't work with aluminum but I will keep my eye out for another piece big enough and let you know! 

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 05:46:21 AM »
I don't know the dimensions of the table, but you could probably make an interesting one by buying a street sign off of ebay. 

24 inches x 18 inches is one standard size the city of Chicago uses.  If that works, you could look for one with a blank back (some are painted or coated on the back and some are double sided) and then mount it blank aluminum side up or down, depending on your mood.

regards,
Hal