Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Instant read Thermometer  (Read 1638 times)

roffey

• Smokey Joe
Instant read Thermometer
« on: December 01, 2019, 12:35:34 PM »
Looking for a good instant read preferably an Amazon buy.
Have had quite a few and none have been good any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

padlin00

• Smokey Joe
Re: Instant read Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 12:42:11 PM »
I'd go with a Thermapem MK4, you can get it from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Thermapen-Professional-Thermocouple-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B01819DI00

But they are a lot cheaper right now on sale from the manufacturer. https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

roffey

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 12:48:09 PM »
I'd go with a Thermapem MK4, you can get it from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Thermapen-Professional-Thermocouple-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B01819DI00

But they are a lot cheaper right now on sale from the manufacturer. https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

I like this there backing there product.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 01:13:51 PM »
Buy the thermoworks MK4 directly from their website. They have it on sale today. It is great.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

roffey

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 02:29:49 PM »
Ordered!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 06:08:25 PM »
Thermoworks I’m sure is great from many accounts but I have been using the lavatools javelin for years and have bought many for friends and family. Very simple, durable, and affordable. I’ve left it out in the rain and it never fails. I’ve never even had to replace the battery. It’s usually on amazon for $25 but I noticed it’s $19.99 right now. I’m not sure why everyone wants to pay more than they have to for a good instant read.  It’s heads and tails above any of the junk at the box stores and maybe 1 second slower than the thermoworks.  I’m not putting down thermoworks. I just don’t see how it’s worth the extra money. Somebody that has used both extensively correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Partagas

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 11:28:26 AM »
Theres only three choices in my opinion. Like it was mentioned before, thermoworks is fantastic, my mk4 is the benchmark in accuracy and speed for all my other thermometers, also Javalin and Thermopro’s are also good alternatives without breaking the bank. The rest until now are a gamble. Choose your tools wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »
Thermometer threads in a cooking/grilling forum are sort of like oil change threads in car forums.  Lots of opinions and anecdotes.  I personally think Thermoworks products are generally top of the line but are pricey. I enjoy looking at the catalog of stuff they offer that is included when you buy one of their products.  There certainly are other effective choices as mentioned above.  Just don't buy Thermoworks products from Amazon or eBay as the warranty, in the unlikely chance it would be needed, is void as mentioned above. I did recently come across a review of instant read thermometers linked below.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-instant-read-thermometer/

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
Instant read Thermometer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 05:20:03 PM »
[copy/pasted from the same topic on another BBQ forum earlier today]

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the others on the Thermapen though. The Thermapen is nice, and if you can afford it and think it's worth the money, then by all means go for it. It's your money...but it’s way overpriced for what it is IMO. A digital thermometer is probably one of the simplest electronic instruments there is. Even a very well made and reliable one has no business costing anywhere close $100 IMO. I have the Thermoworks 600C, which cost me something like $23 including shipping, has served me perfectly, and works just as well as the Thermapen. No it doesn’t have an auto-rotating display(though the current version does), and it doesn't fold. While they may sound nice, those are really unnecessary features if you ask me. Just my 2 cents.

The 600 series is IP67 waterproof though, meaning i can drop it in a pot of hot soapy water and let it soak for an hour (or even overnight) with no issues. I've had it for over 2.5 years, we use it all the time, still measures very accurate in boiling water and an icewater bath, and still haven't even had to change the battery. It is calibratable too should it ever need adjusting.

The 600C is now discontinued but the current versions of it are the 600D and the ProNeedle, both of which are around $30.
EDIT: Looks like the current 600D and ProNeedle do have a 180* rotating display. https://www.thermoworks.com/proneedle click the "10 Questions / 59 Answers" link above the price to see a comparison between the Proneedle and the 600D, as well as a comparison between the ProNeedle and ThermoPop.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:47:29 PM by KevinInStL »
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 05:41:44 AM »
I totally agree that if you buy Thermoworks products bought directly from Thermoworks, no worries. I own two Thermapens and a few ThermoPops (great deal BTW at $34.00 a "Pop" ).  You get what you pay for.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 01:49:49 PM »
Direct order from Thermoworks.  I deal with these folks at my job where we have literally hundreds of MkIII and MkIV in service for both cold and hot temps. (We use blue for cold temps and frozen product and Red for fully cooked product.)  At home I use the ThermoPop.  Watch for it to be onsale and get then for $22-$24 each!
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 08:52:11 PM »
Regarding the price difference and design, this is a copy/paste from Thermoworks' website of a customer's comment, and their response:

"Prefer the Thermopops
I have the Thermapen and two of the ThermoPops. I now only use the ThermoPops. I think the ThermoPops are as accurate and as fast as the Thermapens but they stay lit longer than the Thermapen. About every time I picked up the Thermapen the display had gone blank and I had to put the cooking utensil down and close and open the Thermapen to get it lit again.

I am going to buy several more of the ThermoPops as gifts for family members.
Was this review helpful? Yes (197) No (10)  Flag as Inappropriate
September 20, 2016
Mack
Response from ThermoWorks
We are glad to know that you are happy with your ThermoPop. We do feel that we need to clarify that a ThermoPop (which uses thermistor technology) is not as fast and as accurate as a Thermapen (which uses thermocouple technology).

The Thermapen is almost twice as fast (2-3 seconds vs 3-5 seconds) and because it is a thermocouple, once it finds the initial temperature, a Thermapen is able to display changes in temperatures instantly, which a ThermoPop cannot do.

Also, a Thermapen is more than twice as accurate as a ThermoPop.

* Thermapen is accurate to ±0.7°F (±0.4°C)
* ThermoPop is accurate to ±2.0°F (±1°C).

Also, it sounds like you may be comparing ThermoPop with a Classic Thermapen, which does require that you close and open the probe again after it turns off. The Thermapen Mk4, on the other hand, has auto-wake, which means that as soon as you pick it up, it turns on. It does not require a button push, as a ThermoPop does."

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
Thermapen > *