Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: KettlePizza Melted My Damper Handle!  (Read 25527 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
KettlePizza Melted My Damper Handle!
« on: December 11, 2019, 07:11:08 AM »
So, I know - my fault here.  First time using my new weber limited edition grill this past weekend with my birthday present, the KettlePizza attachment.  I followed all directions, lighting the grill and adding wood.  Went inside to get the pizzas and my plastic damper handle melted and got black plastic on my lid which will not come off. 

Any ideas on how to remove this black mess and restore my beautiful red kettle lid?

At least the pizzas turned out good.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: KettlePizza Melted My Damper Handle!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 08:29:15 AM »
This is why most who have a kettle pizza put is on a crapper grill.  kettles are not made for those temps
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »
Oh man. That right there would spoil the fun .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »
Nice nothing wrong with a few battle scars and the damper handle isn’t necessary.

You can probably follow the restore guides on this website. Basically just razor scrape the plastic off. I’m guessing that will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »
Thanks guys for the advice.  I have a spare Limited Edition unit in my home office...... I guess this one may end up being the "crapper grill"!

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 08:19:33 AM »
It can be restored - nothing's impossible! Razor scrapper would be my suggestion too - just take your time and be careful not to gouge the porcelain. for finishing, I saw that someone else had suggested using #000 steel wool
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 08:29:18 AM »
Get #0000 wool, (four zeros) Anything less can leave a mark.

Marty
Retired

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 09:13:17 AM »
I know first hand that a razor blade will remove the melted plastic off the kettle.

So there I was, 3 hours from home camping, 3 labor days ago. I got the kettle pizza all going. Walk back a few minutes later and the damper handle had melted off. Crazy thing was my temp gauge only said 200...... I found out the temp hit 200 for the second time, she was crazy hot! I also ruined the thermometer lol
Text @ 419-619-6379

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
I know first hand that a razor blade will remove the melted plastic off the kettle.

So there I was, 3 hours from home camping, 3 labor days ago. I got the kettle pizza all going. Walk back a few minutes later and the damper handle had melted off. Crazy thing was my temp gauge only said 200...... I found out the temp hit 200 for the second time, she was crazy hot! I also ruined the thermometer lol

Strange feeling to see that gunk all over and the handle on the ground for sure.  After trying with a razor knife which unfortunately didn't do much I decided to try automotive rubbing compound and a damp applicator.  My arm feels like it's going to fall off, but the lid is back to new condition!  It was much like cleaning a glass cook top.... took about 45 minutes but once I saw it working I didn't stop!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »
After......

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 06:15:48 AM »
I use a designated curb find with no master touch installed for my kettle pizza.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

davekkk

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »
Doesnt look like there is any chipping so thats a plus! Another vote for a crapper grill just for high temp stuff. I see them often in the spring here in Wi.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 06:33:32 AM »
I use a designated curb find with no master touch installed for my kettle pizza.

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I don't make pizza very often so this limited edition red that cost me $65 new shipped works well.  My 2006 is set up for smoking - lid gasket, cable gland for probes, lid hinge and such.  I never want to get it up over 350F so I don't damage anything.  And I'm definitely not making pizza on my 1975.....Still looking at and considering the spider grills pellet adapter, just don't want to have to store it when not in use.

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 06:37:42 AM »
@bamakettles How many pellets would one go through verus chuncks of wood and charcoal for a 10 hour cook? That what has me on the fence for any pellet cookers.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 06:49:12 AM »
@bamakettles How many pellets would one go through verus chuncks of wood and charcoal for a 10 hour cook? That what has me on the fence for any pellet cookers.

Not sure and I've never cooked on a pellet grill before, just watched on YouTube.  I saw one yesterday that was a really good example and he showed details and pellet usage.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Od8WymVjk

I'm a gadget guy and that's what draws me to it.  But I like the challenge of maintaining cook temps with charcoal and wood too..... That's kinda the fun of it for me.  So loading pellets and turning a knob would probably bore me.  : )