Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not in Kansas anymore  (Read 1222 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Not in Kansas anymore
« on: December 09, 2019, 02:32:45 PM »
First off. I have no idea about these things.

Picked up this natral gas kettle for 20 bucks. I know they are on the rarer side.

They said it has been sitting in the back for years, and had apperently been used as a charcoal grill

At a glance, the ignighter is frozen. The lid is a little out of wack but i should be able to get it close. Need to replace ALL hardware. The gas deflector is done for. And the on off knob is missing. Anyone see anything else or have pictures of one actually on so i can see what i need to do to rig a deflector.

Heres some pictures before and after a quick scrape

Oh also can anyone date it? It has single screw handles but the handle straps look like they were at the turn of the 2 rivet single screw era. So early 80s?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »
My dad had one just like that.   Ate many a meal growing up on it till the Genesis came about. 

Cool project for the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
My dad had one just like that.   Ate many a meal growing up on it till the Genesis came about. 

Yup leaving for a 3 day trip so it will be friday before i can do a full tear down. But i plan to convert it to LP some how. I have a couple non traditional ideas in mind.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 03:05:33 AM »

Yup leaving for a 3 day trip so it will be friday before i can do a full tear down. But i plan to convert it to LP some how. I have a couple non traditional ideas in mind.

We can get her back to life, I can help !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 03:31:54 AM »
Its in Kansas? Hit me up lets hang out lol

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 06:07:57 AM »
Its in Kansas? Hit me up lets hang out lol
Lol like dorthy had no idea where she was i have no idea about these.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 12:12:23 PM »
Quick update. Disassembled and cleaned. Cleaned up nice per the usual. Lid was kindof a bitch to get straight since the slits, pull one way everything is out of wack again. But im pretty close to perfect. I fear the lid handle doesnt have much longer its super weak. I do have a spare taco lid handle.... we'll see. Cleaned up the handles came out alright. Added new hardware to the base and what holds the bowl to the pedistal. Its weird how some of these old girls fade differently the bowl, lid and pedistal are all different.

Now the hard stuff. It was NG. Pulled that whole system out. Nothing was re usable everything is seazed and badly corroded.

I have already decided the original 2 zone style is out. Going to use aftermarket universal parts to lego fab a new LP system on the inside. I can see it all in my head i just have to put it togeather.

The goal is for this to be my quick burgers or steaks high heat low fuss grill. And that being said i might actually go the GBS or stok route .

Side note, almost tossed the "charcoal" lower grate, good thing i didnt. Its 19 inches across and not the standard 22 size because it sits about 2 inches higher than normal.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »
Looking good, nice restore work, they aren't easy to mess with compared to a regular charcoal but not to difficult either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:25 PM »
Looking good, nice restore work, they aren't easy to mess with compared to a regular charcoal but not to difficult either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yeah they are a little weird how they are assembled. The hard part now is making it look almost original by utilizing the holes already in the stand with 100% aftermarket parts

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 04:59:22 AM »
Looking good!