Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just thinking the options  (Read 1806 times)

Needmora

• Happy Cooker
Just thinking the options
« on: November 20, 2019, 12:54:12 AM »
Hello guys, I sent my old kettle to my son and now thinking about buying a new one before Black Friday. Weber kettle is mentioned here, and I just thought it would be best just ask the owners. I do not understand why Kamado is almost 10times expensive. Share your experience. I hope it's allowed here to talk objectively even if Weber is not always the best.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Just thinking the options
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 06:32:18 AM »
No way I would ever purchase an expensive kamado.  I would go kettle for sure. Of course this is Weber kettle club [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 07:15:15 AM »
In my opinion, you can buy a Komodo style grill, for a lot cheaper if you don’t get name brand. Also I just think the simplicity, efficiency, and beauty of the Weber kettle, is paramount, to flavor, versatility, and....well you get the point, Weber=good eats

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 07:36:19 AM »
Speaking as objectively as I can:

CERAMIC KAMADO PROS:
Superior heat retention, which means more consistent cooks during low and slow, no matter what the weather is.
Ceramic won't ever rust or corrode - good durability in cold weather climates; You'd want a cover for the grill stand, however, which is made of steel. 
Most have removable heat deflectors that sit directly over the coals, allowing for use of the whole grate during indirect cooks, which is nice. 
Most have decent gaskets lining the lid edge and bowl lip which helps with heat/smoke retention. 

CERAMIC KAMADO CONS:
Weight - all are super heavy and fragile (an 18" ceramic kamado is just under 300 pounds), so you can't take them with you easily.
Cost - the 18" kamado joe 2 (not the newest one) still costs $1,200; if you want to go up in size to the 24", it's $1,900. If you want the newest model, add $500 to the old price.

MY THOUGHTS:
I could never justify the price point with a kamado.  In order to get the same grilling surface diameter that I have with my Weber 22", I'd have to upgrade from the regular kamado (18") to the "big" kamado (24") which would destroy my bank account further. Even though some kamado owners will say you get more grilling space in an 18" because you can use upper and lower grill grates, unless you're planning your cooks meticulously or are Gordon Ramsey back there, it's cumbersome to actually use both grilling grates at the same time. I can do everything the kamados can do on my 22" kettle - sear steaks, low and slow ribs/brisket/ roast chicken, etc. And I don't have to take out a third mortgage to do it.  I'm sure that the ceramic kamados aren't exactly cheap to manufacture, but make no mistake - they're overpriced. Weber has been the leader/innovator at the very beginning.  There's a reason why their classic kettle design and subsequent innovations have been copied by everyone else.  I've got a 22" kettle at my MIL's cottage in Michigan that's been in the starting rotation for over 20 years, and it's still in great shape. You gave your old kettle to your son - what does that tell you? I would get the new blue premium Weber and not look back.

Hope this helps - good luck!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 05:57:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure there are very few things that a Kamado will do that I can't do on my kettles...But I'd still like to have one...

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 09:12:20 PM »
Have you thought about the Weber Summit charcoal grill?... kind of a Komodo kind of a grill... there are some great reviews of it on YouTube.

View to a Grill on YouTube

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 05:19:18 AM »
Have you thought about the Weber Summit charcoal grill?... kind of a Komodo kind of a grill... there are some great reviews of it on YouTube.

I hear that the Summit is definitely high quality, but I was going off Needmora's initial question on why the kamado would be 10x more expensive than the Weber kettle.  Based on what I've seen online (and heard from one of my friends who bought one), the Summit costs $2,000. While I'm a big Weber fan, $2,000 for a charcoal grill is outrageous.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »
Here would be my Weber Buyers Guide or recommendations:

22.5" Master-Touch
This kettle is probably the most versatile you will get out of the box and comes in several colors if that is something you are interested in.  You can find about any grill accessory under the sun for the 22.5" and tons of how to videos/guides here and on youtube.  The major upgrade over your old kettle is likely the ash bucket, and after having one I would never go back (with exception to vintage).  The lid bail is also a nice touch and the grill grates are superior to the standard grill grates.  You can buy these new in the $200 to $240 range depending on your color choice.  They can be found used in the $75 to $150 range on marketplace.

22.5" Gas Assist Performer
This has most of the advantages of the Master-Touch with the added benefit of a side table and gas assist start for your charcoal.  If you have the space they really are an amazing grill and while most people here love all of their kettles a Performer is frequently their daily griller.  New in box is a little pricey at $440 or so.  However, if you keep your eyes out on Marketplace they can be found as lowers $100 for a fairly used black kettle up to $200ish for a nice color kettle. 

26" Kettle
If you have parties or family get togethers is a great kettle.  I frequently cooked for small groups and found a 22.5" just simply too crowded and often ran two kettles.  The extra space also makes it great for offset smoking and etc.  The only downsides I can really think of on this one is that it only comes in black (unless it is vintage)  and there might not be as many accessories as the 22.5".  I would expect to pay $329 for one new in box unless you get very lucky and find a close out or a coupon that doesn't actually exclude Weber.  On the used market they can be found for $100 to $200 unless you get crazy lucky and it is listed cheap by mistake. 

The Ranch
You really don't understand how amazing a 36" giant Weber grill is until you see one face to face.  I have only ever had two kinds of reactions with my Ranch.  Laughter because it is just so ridiculously big or curiosity/envy because no one would imagine something this cool exists.  It is the ridiculous super car of the Weber world.  Do you really need it? Probably not.  Is it a lot of fun? Absolutely.  Unfortunately, it is really only practical for large parties or large family get togethers.  I use mine to cook for my wife's church and for large family gatherings.  Retail is something like $1,400, but you can find them used for around $400 to $700 usually. 

Summit Charcoal
These are great grills from what I have heard.  Unfortunately the price tag brand new is just a rough thing to over come at $1,500 to $2,000.  They are a kamado style grill with amazing heat retention.  If you are a griller who wants to keep smoking/grilling well into February this is a great choice.  It is a double walled porcelain kettle that has advantages over ceramic kamados.  The biggest advantage is that it is not super heavy and can be moved.  Another is that the lid doesn't need to be watched/tightened like a ceramic lid that could fall off the grill.  A lot of guys here would probably own one of these if the right deal came along, but they only seem to come up for sale a few times out of the year.  I figure half of the retail price used is generally a decent deal assuming it is in good shape.

Good luck! If I had any real advice I would say buy one of each :p
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 05:15:44 AM »
Good luck! If I had any real advice I would say buy one of each :p

And there it is!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 06:12:59 AM »
I'm a firm believer in second hand kettles. And with a komodo budget you could have one of every style of weber.

GrillGiant

• WKC Brave
    • GrillGiant
Just thinking the options
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 08:41:04 AM »
Two completely different animals. I have both. Kamado or (Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe) would be on same playing field as the Weber Charcoal Summit. Can’t compare a Kamado to a Kettle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grill on! and Go CUBBIES!!!