Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Howdy from Western MA  (Read 755 times)

padlin00

• Smokey Joe
Howdy from Western MA
« on: November 15, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »
Hi all
 Been here for a little while but just started posting so I figure I should do an intro.

Been grilling forever, probably 5 nights a week, mostly on the Genesis and an 18" Premium kettle maybe twice a year. Picked up a WSM 14 early this year to see if I like smoking which got me into charcoal. Dusted off the old kettle this summer and have been using it for most of my cooks since I discovered indirect cooking, what a game changer. I now find I use the Genesis maybe once a week, the WSM maybe once a week, and the kettle for the rest.

Found the 18" a bit small for the 2 of u now that I'm using 2 level fires, especially for chicken wings. Just finished cleaning up a 2014 Performer I picked up a week ago, used it for the 1st time tonight for bone in chicken, what a difference, the 18's going back in the shed.

Cooking on a Weber seems to be my new hobby, spending an awful lot of time at it. Will see what's doable now that winter is here.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Howdy from Western MA
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 04:39:34 PM »
Welcome to the club! Don’t put the 18” in the shed. It’ll be nice for overflow or for lighting more coals if you need to mid cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 06:29:14 PM »
Welcome from just south of Chicago, IL! Winter is definitely a challenge, but very doable, it helps to have something blocking the wind.
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 04:37:32 PM »
Cool!  And ... hey!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
View to a Grill on YouTube

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »
Welcome from Plainfield Indiana [emoji243][emoji241][emoji239]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 06:43:48 AM »
Welcome from Topeka ks

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 04:59:14 AM »
Welcome from Doraville, Ga keep that 18 handy you'll be surprised
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 05:41:36 AM »
Welcome from Highland Park, IL (north of Chicago)! Love to grill in the winter - it takes a little more planning and charcoal management, but it's totally doable.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

padlin00

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »
Did a spatchcocked chicken last night on the 22". Was expecting it to take about an hour, 90 min later it was just getting to temp. Wind and cold temps seem to add a half hour to everything. Can't imagine if I hadn't decided to spatchcock it.