Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking lamb leg  (Read 961 times)

AgentSmith

• Smokey Joe
Smoking lamb leg
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:42:09 AM »
I’m going to be smoking a 2.5kg lamb leg tomorrow with some hickory ( it’s all I have ) in my Weber 55cm mastertouch. Any advice or tips appreciated

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smoking lamb leg
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 11:46:34 AM »
I want to know how it turns out. I like the taste of lamb, but it has a greasy aftertaste I do not like. Plus it has a light gamey taste. I like the gamey taste though. Some don’t like it, I do. No advice, just want to know method and results.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AgentSmith

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »
This is probably going to be my boldest cook (not cooked anything this big before). I was thinking of snaking in direct Between 110-140C with a pan of apple juice underneath for steam? Cook till the inner meat reaches about 60C the. Wrap it till it reaches 75C?

I’m probably no way near a decent ballpark?!

Partagas

• Smokey Joe
Smoking lamb leg
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 03:40:24 AM »
Smoked lamb is my favorite! And it goes very well with hickory so do not think that another choice of wood would give you better results.
I like to open up the leg and cut it as flat as i can (kinda like when preparing a stuffed pork loin) i drizzle with evoo, coarse salt, pepper, freshly chopped thyme or rosemary, finely minced garlic, and finally get a lemon and zest the entire leg. (It will help tremendously with that gamey taste) roll it up and tie it up with butcher’s twine and go slow and low until it hits your preferred temp. I like to pull it at 140. You can baste it with some butter if it starts to get too dry on the outside. You are in for a treat!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:42:41 AM by Partagas »

AgentSmith

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »
Damn dude that looks 1000 times better than what I did. Think my marinade may have been wrong. Tasted a bit bland for my likening. It was ok for a first time big cook, but not amazing! Took about 3.5hours, I squirted water/apple juice every hour.

Sorry only took one pict.

Smoked lamb is my favorite! And it goes very well with hickory so do not think that another choice of wood would give you better results.
I like to open up the leg and cut it as flat as i can (kinda like when preparing a stuffed pork loin) i drizzle with evoo, coarse salt, pepper, freshly chopped thyme or rosemary, finely minced garlic, and finally get a lemon and zest the entire leg. (It will help tremendously with that gamey taste) roll it up and tie it up with butcher’s twine and go slow and low until it hits your preferred temp. I like to pull it at 140. You can baste it with some butter if it starts to get too dry on the outside. You are in for a treat!

Kain

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 11:14:07 PM »
Looks so good.

Partagas

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 03:32:12 AM »
That looks pretty good man. Dont give up though if you werent completely happy with how it tasted. Keep experimenting with your cooks and seasonings until you find what you like. Practice makes perfect. Cheers[emoji482]