Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Unable to identify Weber 18" 18.5" in red... to restore or not to restore  (Read 1080 times)

galcosta1

• Happy Cooker
Hello everyone,

I am very new to this group, and hope I am posting on the correct channel. Someone just gifted me a red weber from 1999 in red. It looks like toy at 18-18.5 in diameter. As you may be able to see from the photos, it is quite beat up. I have not seen any photos of a similar model online even though I have searched for a few hours. Wondering if I should refurbish it and how to go about it without loosing value for a collector. I currently own 7 webers, but they are mostly newer models. I have the one with the stainless cart from I think the 90s and another with a cart as well with plastic table.

Since I am in Canada, there aren't so many of the cute coloured ones found in the USA. Still, I think this red one is not so common. Any comments, suggestions, etc welcome.

Much appreciated.

Galcosta

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Welcome.  That’s definitely worth restoring.  Red kettles are more common but not as much in 18s. You’ll need some parts: new one touch, probably grates, and the ash pan if it’s missing.  The WKC page will give you good instructions to clean up the kettle. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
Re: Unable to identify Weber 18" 18.5" in red... to restore or not to restore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
Welcome from just outside Chicago, IL! Start with this it helps a lot, good luck and keep us updated. http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Yeppers just clean it up with fine steel wool and hot water with dish soap. I wouldn’t bother trying to paint the chips in the lid and bow. Get the grill hot after cleaning and use cooking oil to season those spots.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 06:14:49 PM »

First off, welcome to the Forum. Your kettle is definitely worth restoring.  Here's link to a red 18" 1999 I restored and modified a couple of months ago.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=43577.msg431747#msg431747

Like michaelmilitello mentioned, red 18's are more rare, especially newer models with ash sweeps.

The remnant of the ash sweep will need to be cut out.  You can cut the rod on both sides of the hex nut with a hack saw or a Dremel tool.  Then tap on the nut and it will drop through the hole in the bowl. 

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:25:55 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

galcosta1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 09:28:10 PM »
Thank you so much for the welcome and the super quick replies. I'm excited about bringing this one to life now. michaelmilitello, DaveG74, Cellar2ful, and kettlebb, your advice, info, and links are super helpful. kettlebb, you mention not trying to paint the chips. I'm worried about the rust; should I just leave it like that or is there a way to take care of the rust? Again, as a new collector, I'm worried about doing to much and ruin its collectable appeal. Also, for everyone, do I paint the inside with high heat paint or something, some of the enamel is chipped off. Much appreciated!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Unable to identify Weber 18" 18.5" in red... to restore or not to restore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 10:09:16 PM »
I touch up practically every red kettle I own.
Granted the paint will discolor on the hot parts of the bowl but the lids hold up relatively well. I’m trying to keep the rust at bay and I can’t stand the sight of dings in the lids.
DupliColor Engine paint with Ceramic #DE1653 is a pretty good match, and I just spray some in a cup and use a brush to dab it into the affected areas. I’ll use a heat gun on it between coats to temper the paint and it usually blends in well. It’s not going to be perfect because most porcelain finishes will fade over time.
I’m an RRR kinda guy and not afraid to modify and don’t look at it as how it’s going to affect it “collectible appeal”. It’s in my collection
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:21:19 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Thank you so much for the welcome and the super quick replies. I'm excited about bringing this one to life now. michaelmilitello, DaveG74, Cellar2ful, and kettlebb, your advice, info, and links are super helpful. kettlebb, you mention not trying to paint the chips. I'm worried about the rust; should I just leave it like that or is there a way to take care of the rust? Again, as a new collector, I'm worried about doing to much and ruin its collectable appeal. Also, for everyone, do I paint the inside with high heat paint or something, some of the enamel is chipped off. Much appreciated!
Don't paint the inside of the kettle especially as the paint is likely not food safe.  Using a scraper and steel wool you can get rid if a lot of the rust.  If you really want to get rid of all of it then evaporust is an amazing product that you can soak it in.  It just gets a little pricey, but fan be reused several times.  After the rust is gone treat the exposed areas with cooking oil and heat as mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
My comments about paint are objective like everyone else. You keep mentioning it’s collectible value, are you trying to prepare this for a flip or eBay? If so I wouldn’t do any paint, let the new owner decide how they want it to look.

Like mentioned, paint on the bowl will turn black with use, so my opinion is why have a mismatch?  You can use cooking oil to season the rust spots and help prevent it from getting worse.

If it’s your grill to keep and use or look at then do whatever makes you happy. If you are here to flip it, please let potential buyers know if you do paint it.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.