Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18" L Code OTG (red - no fade)  (Read 4349 times)

Cellar2ful

18" L Code OTG (red - no fade)
« on: September 20, 2019, 08:51:45 PM »
Yeah I know, no such thing.  This is the mod section though right? See, 1999 was the last year that Weber produced bright red kettles.  In 2000, Weber introduced the 18" One Touch Gold model.  To accommodate the ash bucket and ring, the bowl holes on the 18" kettles were redesigned that year.  The holes were made shorter but wider so they would fit inside the ring and ash bucket (you'll see why I mention this fact later on).

A few months back I bought an L Code solid red, 18" bowl and lid on CL.  Came with an ash pan and grates and that was it.  It had been sitting in the pile of Webers behind my garage. I call them "round tuits".  Well it sits no more.

Parts required/used: 

Ash bucket assembly, legs and black triangle from a horribly crazed and abused DO Code (2005) 18" black OTG

New 18" ash sweeps (One Touch Cleaning Kit #90992)

Pair of 73-76 Weber wheels (can't remember the donor kettle)

2 - 3/8" Nickel axle push caps (Lowes)

3 - High figured cedar zavod44  handles

roll of 3M high temperature aluminum flu tape (used to wrap leg ends to solve loose legs in bowl sockets)

3mm copper wire (left over from use on my Bonsai trees)

First obstacle was attaching the ash ring to the bowl.  This kettle being a 1989, the leg sockets do not line up to accept the tabs of the ash ring.  I bent the tabs outwards and used a small section of copper wire, running it through one of the socket tabs, then twisting it over the tab of the ash ring.  Worked fantastic and is not visible anywhere from the outside.

The next obstacle was that two of the bowl vents extended slightly past the ash ring that holds the bucket. This being a 1989, the bowl vent holes are longer and more narrow than the current ones.

I used small pieces of 3M high temp aluminum flu tape to cover these small areas.  I had to put the tape on the outside of the bowl so it would not interfere with the ash sweeps.

I prefer the look of the mid 70's wheels, with painted white walls and no Weber name.  I used the older style axle caps to give it more finished look.  Kinda like having American Racing Mags.

I used these high figured cedar handles from @zavod44 .  I purchased them over three years ago from Brian and have been waiting for the right kettle.

The finished product is a 18" L Code (1989) redhead OTG, with retro wheels.

Just had to get her hot to see the color change and boy did she not disappoint.  I shall call her "Black Cherry".

@swamprb - Just saw your post on FB.  Both of us did the same OTG mod using a 18" red L code.  What are the odds.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:07:18 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: 18" L Code OTG (red - no fade)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:48:50 AM »
Very nice!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 04:56:47 AM »
I love this
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 05:01:42 AM »
That looks great.
I have 2 red 18"s that I only use for making pies on.
I am trying to find older ash buckets for them.
I have found several websites and ebay ads that show the older ones only to have the newer squeeze style show up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 06:27:57 AM »
I have found several websites and ebay ads that show the older ones only to have the newer squeeze style show up.

Yeah, one of those sites on Ebay got me to.  I sourced the one for this project via a CL add for an old OTG. The one I got from Ebay is still sitting new in it's box out in the garage.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
Wow that thing is sharp!! Thanks for detailing everything out.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Fat Tony

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 04:00:46 AM »
She's beautiful!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 07:54:28 AM »
Very cool - nice detailed pics too! Thanks for sharing!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »
@Cellar2ful
Jim, where did you find those older style caps? Is there any place reproducing them?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »
@Cellar2ful
Jim, where did you find those older style caps? Is there any place reproducing them?

I bought a bunch of them when Orchard Supply closed.  Lowe's carries them. They are 3/8" Nickel axle push nuts.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8-in-Nickel-Axle-Push-Nut/3012502