Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My First Rotisserie Chicken  (Read 1461 times)

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
My First Rotisserie Chicken
« on: November 02, 2019, 05:41:51 AM »
(cook was last night)

And it came out great! Although I think it got a hair overdone/dry. Total cool time was just over three hours for a pretty large bird. Forgot to check the weight of it tho.

I kept temps right at around 275 for most of the cook. Maybe I should have had it higher for a shorter cook time.

I seasoned with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Also used a small chunk of cherry wood I had left over from wood turning.

Once again my 10 year old son raved about my cooking [emoji16] and laid claim to a large breast chunk for lunch today.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: My First Rotisserie Chicken
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »
Looks good to me! I need to get a spit for the roti I picked up. Could love to rotisserie some turkey for thanksgiving

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 06:30:52 AM »
Rotisserie Turkey for Thanksgiving is the plan. Trying to get a couple practice runs in before then.

I really had a lot of fun cooking with it and look forward to more cooks in the future. Also will be looking at other accessories for it like baskets, etc.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 06:41:30 AM »

Rotisserie Turkey for Thanksgiving is the plan. Trying to get a couple practice runs in before then.

I really had a lot of fun cooking with it and look forward to more cooks in the future. Also will be looking at other accessories for it like baskets, etc.

Looks awesome!  Pull the turkey when the breast reaches 155-160. It will rise during rest and be super juicy. Also smart move getting a couple practice runs in [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »

@FuriousHobbit - Thermoworks (maker of the Thermapen) recommends pulling a turkey/chicken when the breast temp reaches 157 degrees.  Then let it rest for a minimum of 30-45 minutes.  The internal temp will climb during the rest period giving you the 165 recommended done temp.  Here is a thread with tips regarding amount of briquettes to use, when to add additional briquettes and placement of the charcoal baskets.  You will notice the photo in this thread I set the charcoal baskets offset, more to one side.  The turkey/chicken is then placed on the spit with the legs and thighs facing the charcoal baskets.  Dark meat requires a higher finish temp than the breast and will tolerate the higher heat exposure. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=39626.msg394687#msg394687

Her is another thread you might find useful.

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2019/01/08/using-a-remote-thermometer-on-a-rotisserie/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:39:11 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 09:41:11 AM »
Thanks guys. Just read thru that thread and going to try baskets like that next time.

Any thoughts on kettle temperature? I've seen 275 referenced, seems too low tho. At least for a "quick" chicken dinner in Friday night it is. Think I'll try not only your basket method but same charcoal scenario as well and see how things turn out. Maybe shoot for around 325 or so.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 10:04:06 AM »
I really don’t shoot for a certain temperature but I’m definitely cooking hotter than 325. I’m usually more in the 350+ range.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:12:32 AM by Cellar2ful »

FuriousHobbit

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 10:08:45 AM »
Good to know. I'll definitely go hotter next time.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 10:13:58 AM »
I really don’t shoot for a certain temperature but I’m definitely cooking hotter than 325. I’m usually more in the 350+ range.

+1

When cooking chickens or turkeys, I run my all vents full open.  The kettle will heat to around 375-400 degrees before putting the bird on, then settle in around 350 after the bird is place on. After the first hour and after adding briquettes, it will run around 300-325 degrees.  These temps are by my Weber lid thermometer as I don't have a grate to run a grate probe when using the rotisserie.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
Looks perfect to me.
I like to stuff chickens with lime and lemon wedges along with lots of fresh rosemary. Cook around 350 (lid temp). Never had a dry one yet.

Correction................Lid temp 350.................not 150.........................
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:44:28 PM by SMOKE FREAK »

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 11:14:11 AM »
Good looking bird, going to spin one tonight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »

Looks perfect to me.
I like to stuff chickens with lime and lemon wedges along with lots of fresh rosemary. Cook around 350 (lid temp). Never had a dry one yet.

Correction................Lid temp 350.................not 150.........................

I was concerned for you until the correction! [emoji12]

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 06:59:32 AM »
Danged good lookin' cookup!!!
I've not been around for awhile and just check in by way of the C+ student phone (sort of smart phone)
and man, great cooking time after time on here!!!

Just lucked into a roti-ring that came w/a fairly clean '86 brownie &  thought I'd see if there was any spin cooking going on......lo & behold, this & Cellar2full's Turkey are 1&2 on the list!!!
Thanks!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 06:13:23 AM »
Man, I need to get me a rotisserie for my kettle. Every time I see a rotisserie post, the food just looks awesome! Plus you got the wild rice, broccoli and crescent rolls to boot! Nice work - you made that look super easy!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again