Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Recommended Paint for Touch Ups?  (Read 2577 times)

RVAJoe

• Smokey Joe
Recommended Paint for Touch Ups?
« on: November 01, 2019, 03:59:50 AM »
I have an opportunity to get a Blue Kettle that is pretty beat up (and CHEAP) and looks to have a lot of chips in bowl and lid, but no major dents.  What is the best paint ya'll have found for other colors other than black?  There are a lot of High Temp options in Black and Red, but what about the not so common colors Weber has offered in the past?

Thanks!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Recommended Paint for Touch Ups?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:08:59 AM »
If it’s all the way down to bare metal, I’d just coat it with vegetable oil and season it like cast iron.  You may find paint that matches but the long term colorfastness even with high temp paint is doubtful.   If the grill has scars, it tells a story.  To each their own.  I have a 75 lime with tons of chips and crazing.  It’s not the prettiest but it’s lime and it’s 44 y o.  I like it just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 10:23:17 AM »
Yes. Just use cooking oil and heat to season it. Please don’t paint an older kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »
Just use the high heat red, it will be fancy.

No really just use vegetable oil, or in a few months the paint is gonna look weird anyway.

RVAJoe

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents...

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 04:25:11 PM »
Go to the auto parts store and bring the lid and look at the dupicolor ..

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 05:53:03 PM »
Duplicolor won't just burn off?

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 08:51:04 AM »
I use Pam colored high temp paint

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Recommended Paint for Touch Ups?
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 02:04:56 PM »
I have an opportunity to get a Blue Kettle that is pretty beat up (and CHEAP) and looks to have a lot of chips in bowl and lid, but no major dents.  What is the best paint ya'll have found for other colors other than black?  There are a lot of High Temp options in Black and Red, but what about the not so common colors Weber has offered in the past?

Thanks!

Depends what shade of Blue you have. I've done a few touch ups of the dark Blues with good results using Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceramic
#DE1606 Ford Dark Blue.

If its the lighter blues I recommend bringing the lid to the auto parts store and color match with the paint can cap.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:07:46 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!