Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hi from San Diego!  (Read 3232 times)

jawajames

• Happy Cooker
Hi from San Diego!
« on: October 29, 2019, 12:10:52 PM »
So cool I found this forum!

When I moved into my current home, there was a light green weber kettle grill in the backyard, and i didn't think much of it. I bought a replacement grill and lower grill (whatever the charcoal sits on) for it, and used it several times for grilling - usually burgers for annual summer bash. but in the last few years, it sat around unused, and finally one of the legs (the non-wheeled one) collapsed (and i think our gardener might have ran over the leg and got it bent).

Now after lying around, starting to rust, the gardener mentioned that we should just cart it off so that it doesn't get in his way when he mows the backyard. I started thinking about it - why is he so keen on carting it off for me? - and decided to look up and see what type of possible hidden treasure I have.

not too sure at what the shades between avocado and lime green are after years in the sun and rain, but I think i have a cado (it has the patent pending on the grill vent, wood handle) - anyone want to help me identify it further?

it's in sad shape, with some rust spots on the lid and kettle, but i'd love to get it shipshape again - i guess the real key would be figuring out how to straighten and re-attach the leg.

EDIT: I brought it out into the sun and took some photos. Attaching photos here
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:23:51 AM by jawajames »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hi from San Diego!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »

Welcome! Pics will help us figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga  a picture is worth a thousand words LOL @kettlebb that picture is hilarious
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 12:41:53 PM »
Welcome from Highland Park, IL (north of Chicago)!  There are several folks here who can assist you in refurbishing your grill to its former glory.  I've been shocked at some of the transformations I've seen posted here.  Almost anything is possible with the right tools and some elbow grease.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

BAArteaga

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
Greetings and welcome! We're practically neighbors haha.. as the others have mentioned, a photo or two would certainly help! Here's a photo of my lime and avocado side by side if it helps. Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
hey!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
View to a Grill on YouTube

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 05:21:09 AM »
Welcome from Plainfield Indiana

DaveG74

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
Welcome from just outside Chicago, IL!
I swear, when I score a great deal on a 26" I'll stop buying grills... So often.

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 12:49:55 PM »
@jawajames I greatly miss America's Finest City, but I look forward to good times every time I go back.  Welcome from Nocal.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

jawajames

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 11:15:16 AM »
Greetings and welcome! We're practically neighbors haha.. as the others have mentioned, a photo or two would certainly help! Here's a photo of my lime and avocado side by side if it helps. Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Thanks for the comparison photos @BAArteaga - i'm pretty sure mine is avocado now that i've seen both colors side by side. photos to come!

jawajames

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 11:24:47 AM »
Ok, i posted some photos in the OP.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »
Now that we can see pictures, I’d say it’s rough but worth saving.  I think Weber stopped making that color in 73, so it’s a keeper.  All the dings and scars are just a testament to Weber durability!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 02:35:10 PM »
Yeah fix it up!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 03:51:46 PM »
That’s still a cooker. You don’t have to do a full blown restore either. Take it as far as you want to go and enjoy it.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

jawajames

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 08:46:16 AM »
Thanks for the confidence boost! Any idea on how to re-attach the broken leg?