Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Kettle vs Weber Jumbo Joe  (Read 3633 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
Weber Kettle vs Weber Jumbo Joe
« on: October 29, 2019, 09:02:49 AM »
Sorry, I feel like this is a stupid question, but what is the difference between the 2?
Both are 22".  the Kettle is $100 more though.
TIA
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Weber Kettle vs Weber Jumbo Joe
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:22:10 AM »
Jumbo Joe Premium .. is or was sold at Walmart [emoji848] and this was a fancy name for the euro 22” Compact kettle.
This model is shallower than a Normal kettle and does not have kettle mounted grate straps so the cooking grate sits higher than normal limiting the total cook height.
There is also no ash sweeps and only one 3 hole vent on the bottom!
Leg mounts are totally different from standard normal kettles also! No sockets!
A true late model Jumbo Joe is 18” and it has the same design points as above but is mounted on a table top leg system that works fantastic!
Again the cook grate to lid is shorter than a standard kettle but for 99% of the cooks there is not a problem!
Now don’t take it wrong like I’m cracking it off as a pile of [emoji90]... I LOVE ❤️ my 18” Jumbo Joe and I can cook with the best of them using mine!
Here is a photo of my 18” JJ smoking away!
I hope this helps you... give me a yell if you need more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:32:28 AM by vwengguy »

EricD

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber Kettle vs Weber Jumbo Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:31:42 AM »
Perfect!  Thank you for the explanation.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:53:15 AM »
Buy a one touch kettle over the jumbo joe.  Even better buy one with the ash bucket.  If price is a concern for you keep your eyes out on Facebook marketplace.  There are several premium 22s getting sold new in box because people caught them on closeout.  Also plenty of used kettles in general that just need a really good cleaning.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 11:16:22 AM »
What [emoji1312] he said is so true.
No one here will turn away a used kettle at a deal price! Keep your eye on on FB or Craig’s list for a deal!
You could also ask here if anyone close  to you might have one they want to pass on for a nice price!
Any Weber grill will last 50x longer than my first marriage so even a used one will cook like new!
Make a check list of your wants and needs and pick up something that fits your budget and needs.
Ps. I still love my 18” Jumbo Joe [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »
Thanks guys.   I'm all set with my stuff....Didn't pay full price for any of it! (you can see my signature)
No, this one will be for my daughter and SIL's place in Florida.   I'm going to visit in a few weeks and would you believe they don't have a grill!!!!!
They actually have a built in unit, can't remember name now, but it's rusted out and inoperable.   I was going to attempt to fix it for them but he doesn't even know where the gas shut off valve is....so I think I'll leave it alone.
The Walmart near them has the JJ in stock, but the kettle is available for overnight delivery.  I want to cook while I'm there! I'm only there for a long weekend and don't want to deal with craiglist, et al. trying to find a used one.
A 22" JJ for $70 is no big deal.   They don't cook as much as I do!
If any one has a kettle for sale in Jupiter FL area, though....Let me know!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »
@Jon Tofte is right up the street in hobe sound he may know of one in the area and he's a nice guy @EricD
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 12:51:32 PM »
I bought a used 22 Jumbo Joe once because I was able to buy it and grab a part off of it cheaper than just buying the part online.  The rest of it was scrap. Lol

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »
He needs to identify where the shut off is and fix the built in or rip it out. You need to give him a hard time about that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 03:16:43 AM »
Has anyone turned a 22 JJ into a tabletop version? That would be a good one for camping

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 04:33:32 AM »
Has anyone turned a 22 JJ into a tabletop version? That would be a good one for camping

It could be accomplished by just cutting the three legs and installing caps on the end.  The legs actually screw into the kettle bowl. However, there is no carry handle or lid bale designed for a 22 JJ.  Personally, I would just do a midget mod on a 22 kettle and buy a camping table that can raise and lower.  Most of them are made to adjust from say 21 inches to 29 inches in height.  That way your cook would be the same as what it would be on your daily use grill. 

I think the 22 Jumbo Joe was designed purely to hit a price point.  You go to Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and etc. there are plenty of off brand grills in that $50 to $100 range and they hope that the Weber name will be enough to bring those folks over into buying their offering.  However, they had to make it crappy enough that it wouldn't pull customers that always bought the kettle down into that price point.  If you found one for next to nothing they use the same handles, taco, grates (I think), and lid as a regular 22.  The wheels are 6", but they are not white walls.  They Jumbo wheels might work great for a dually midget mod where you put the white walls on the outside and the Jumbo wheels on the inside.  I haven't grabbed a triangle from one and compared it but I wouldn't doubt it is the same as a 22 kettle.  I have one I keep meaning to part out at my parents.  If I think about it I will check on the triangle. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:41:11 AM by ReanimatedRobot »

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 04:41:22 AM »
@Jon Tofte is right up the street in hobe sound he may know of one in the area and he's a nice guy @EricD

any ideas Jon?

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 04:42:39 AM »
He needs to identify where the shut off is and fix the built in or rip it out. You need to give him a hard time about that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I have been! lol! 
We went looking around to replace it last time I got to visit, but they were way to expensive at the time.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 04:43:23 AM »
Where the hell did the 'thanks' button go?
thanks to all.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 04:44:01 AM »
I had one that I bought as a package deal with 3 kettles, but I gave it to my neighbor. The wheels, legs, and triangle seemed about the same as the kettles. But I think there are star nuts or something at the top of the legs so they can bolt to the bowl.