Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: a new company in town...sorta  (Read 749 times)

Marzipan

• WKC Brave
a new company in town...sorta
« on: October 25, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »
https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/25/harvard-barbecue-desora-kamado-joe-cinder-grills/

Desora, established by a couple graduates that used computer modeling to find the best shape for charcoal grilling.

what they discovered has shortened cooking times, evened out heat spread so the grill space is no more than 5 degrees anywhere and makes for a better smokey flavor.

currently they've partnered with Komado Joe and the models available aren't cheap...however they're hoping to find someone (crosses fingers it's Weber) to work with where they can bring solutions in at a third the current entry price point of $1700.
Power Corrupts, But Absolute Power Is Kinda Cool!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: a new company in town...sorta
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 09:20:37 AM »
interesting read
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SixZeroFour

Re: a new company in town...sorta
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 11:42:18 AM »
Desora designed the "SloRoller" accessory that comes included with the new -3 model Kamado units.

They sure do an excellent job of making it sound super high-tech but honestly its a fancy looking heat deflector/diffuser. You could accomplish near identical results using the metal deflector in the SCG or the Euro MT E-5775 kettle (If we ever get it in NA). Almost any circular deflector that forces hot air around the outside edge of the kettle or smoker is going to create a similar rolling smoke inside the cooker.

It's also made of a "high heat " plastic material thats only good up to 500 deg... so far we've only seen one melted into oblivion ;)

As for the iKammand (Auto Temp Controller for Kamado) - Good kit that does work but they only provide you with 2 probes when the unit can accept 4... and the real kicker is that the probes havent been availble to purchase on their own for almost 2 years now. Kinda dissapointing they would release a product (+-$300!) then not offer any parts support for it.

Outside of these little issues I actually really like the Kamado brand products but personally would get a -2 model for a LOT less money and more or less have the same rig. Really the only difference up to the -3 is the addition of the SloROller deflector and the fact that the body has to be slightly taller to accomodate the large accessory.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E