Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tuck Away Lid Holder - Does it Scratch Lid?????  (Read 3066 times)

rflores99

• Happy Cooker
Tuck Away Lid Holder - Does it Scratch Lid?????
« on: October 24, 2019, 07:25:06 AM »
I read from a customer review on Weber's website that the Tuck Away Lid Holder on the Performer Weber Kettle Grill will eventually "scratch" and "rust" the paint on the outside of the lid.  I know the Master touch uses the same type of lid holder.  Does this hold true?  If it does then I would rather buy the premium kettle grill with the "hook" on the inside of the grill.

Thank you for feedback.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Tuck Away Lid Holder - Does it Scratch Lid?????
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 07:50:37 AM »
I have had several kettles with the lid bale.  Some have caused scratches and some have not.  None of the scratches have been deep enough to cause rust. The scratches are more like minor scuffs.  The newer lid bales, where the lid sits at a 90 degree angle, seem to help prevent scuffs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 08:03:04 AM »
The only way to prevent scuffs or scratches no matter which grill you get is to get a fleece lined grill cover and store it deep in the back of the shed or garage and never ever use it. EVER

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 08:16:03 AM »
The only way to prevent scuffs or scratches no matter which grill you get is to get a fleece lined grill cover and store it deep in the back of the shed or garage and never ever use it. EVER

That doesn't sound like much fun ! I'm in it for the fun !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »

Agree, if you use them you will eventually scratch them. I look at it this way... I have a lot of grills, but I use on and off about 20 of them at random at any time. I have a few I just look at in my collection (No comments on how I don’t use them) but all my cookers have some story’s to tell. My custom dual grill my wife’s aunt fell into it and it has a dent sooooo when she’s over I point it out and remind her “Deb I like you but I love my grills”  but I’m also the same guy when his sons friend fell into my wall and he said he would fix it and didn’t I did this...

As a reminder
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 08:56:25 AM »
@Shoestringshop you should sign that work of art
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 12:29:22 PM »
Better yet. Ask the kid that did it to come over and sign it just to shame him again. :p
@Shoestringshop you should sign that work of art

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Sure it can scuff a little if you aren't careful.     If you are that worried about it then add something soft to the areas where it makes contact.  Just be careful what material you use and how close it is to fire.  I personally wouldn't worry about it that much.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:31:12 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 03:03:50 PM »
I am not saying be negligent, grills are built and created to use.  Each scratch and dent tells a story and makes that particular grill unique.    Maybe all the scuff marks from the lid holder will tell the story....."yeah my owner loves me a lot, uses me a lot, so I do my part and work a lot!"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 02:56:41 AM »
I use the hook built into the lid, or set it on the ground. My BBQ area is fairly tight for space, so the lid bails won't work for me.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Red_5_Wrangler

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 04:08:55 AM »
I am fine with the little bit of rash from the bale. Like others said they are very small and never had one rust from it. It is much better than the giant chips you get when you bump the lid and it falls off the hook. Will little kids and littler dogs putting the lid on the ground doesn't work for me.
ISO - CMist Go Anywhere, the cheif, yellow

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 07:05:03 AM »
I am fine with the little bit of rash from the bale. Like others said they are very small and never had one rust from it. It is much better than the giant chips you get when you bump the lid and it falls off the hook. Will little kids and littler dogs putting the lid on the ground doesn't work for me.

My Performer does have the lid bail, but my other 22's do not. As far as placing the lid on the ground, no kids or dogs allowed back there when I'm cooking.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:06:36 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 06:12:17 AM »
I use the hook built into the lid, or set it on the ground. My BBQ area is fairly tight for space, so the lid bails won't work for me.

I'm the same way -- it's like Weber "fixed" a problem that didn't need fixing.  The lid hook worked just fine IMHO.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 06:12:04 AM »
you can minimize the cosmetic damage by sanding the edge with some emery cloth .