Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Temp probe port/firewall grommet bushing  (Read 1064 times)

Partagas

• Smokey Joe
Temp probe port/firewall grommet bushing
« on: October 24, 2019, 05:50:05 AM »
So i l’ve been thinking that maybe one of these would be helpful since i saw in my last smoke some leaking through the lid where the cable was running. The lid had been sealed with the lavalock gasket. Some online retailers have been asking for crazy prices on these ports which are essentially metal firewall grommets, and if you search for them as such you could save a few bucks.
Anyways my question to those of you who may have had this installed is if you have seen any issues with the inside rubber grommet? Its rated to a temporary max temp of 250*F.
Any comments or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Temp probe port/firewall grommet bushing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 06:37:02 AM »
I use something similar, but I cant find the picture I took of it, or remember the manufacturer. It has a hex shaped head and a rubber grommet with an oval shaped hole. I'll dig around when I get home...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:27:54 AM »
I have looked at these as well and might grab one or two.

Here is my question:

Can it be installed without the rubber grommet or with a metal washer in its place?

It seems like an easy way to solve the heat concern and I highly doubt that it will just leak tons of smoke.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:28:16 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 04:45:36 PM »
You can try these.  If you’re using a daisy wheel kettle, you can run your probe up through a vent opposite the coals.  Works fine for my low n slow cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 07:44:48 PM »
I'm using a bunch of those cable glands as probe ports.  You don't really need the grommet so just remove it.  If you don't want any smoke leaking through it, insert a piece of aluminum foil to block the hole.

uxcell 3 Pcs PG13.5 Cable Gland... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JRA88C0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Huahuiyuan Stainless Steel PG7... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0718XNGB1?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Partagas

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 02:24:34 AM »

I have looked at these as well and might grab one or two.

Here is my question:

Can it be installed without the rubber grommet or with a metal washer in its place?

It seems like an easy way to solve the heat concern and I highly doubt that it will just leak tons of smoke.

I think so. The rubber grommet is meant to seal around the cables going through avoiding a smoke leak. I like the idea of removing it and sealing with a piece of foil.
Well it sounds like tinkering might be needed. I went ahead and ordered it. Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 07:15:19 AM »
Thanks for chiming in Jules V. and supplying links to a three pack.  I kinda figured something like the foil would work for sealing, but it's good to see it has been thoroughly tested by the mad grill doctor himself.

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.