Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Values  (Read 9688 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Kettle Values
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »
  Seriously would someone here pay me $200 for my yellow?  If so, who?   

No, but I'd pay it for the robins egg blue!   I'll even add shipping!  Or you can add it whenever I place my next handle order.  Whatever works best for you Brian.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 07:12:25 PM »
At the end of the day it's all in how bad someone wants something and what they are willing to pay. I'd say we're very reasonable with each other here, at least from personal experience... on the outside, like ebay, things could go north of what you were planning to fork out, if its a rarity or a mutual/community grail plus you've got to be ready to move if you want it because, many of those auctions or CL postings are being watched by over half of us here..so when it shows up in the TP....that changes the dynamic for better or worse. I strongly believe that the TP postings are done here for helping people find what they are looking for, or to enlist help in getting something they are wanting.  I DO NOT believe anyone here does it out of spite or competition. If theres something I cant get or its too far away, I hope for someone else here to get it & enjoy it so it doesn't fall into the wrong hands like being scrapped.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »
I agree with ya on the printed cardboard part, but the scale-of-value is exactly what this thread is about.
i meant it wasn't relevant to the baseball card example in my post.
How does one actually place a 'value' on a kettle someone picked up on a whim and came here for info about it?  Yes, the market dictates this, that, and the other thing. 
But, I ask again - Has anyone here paid $200 for a 22.5" kettle? 
Yes. But I'm not at liberty to name names.

A robins egg blue should hold more 'value' than a red, brown, yellow, 'cado, etc simply because of it's rarity.  As gummi said - he saw 3 on Saturday.  I wonder if any of them came with a two hunnert price tag to acquire?  Even if they did, where does that leave the other colors on the pecking order...  I've only been on the WKC for a handful of months, but I haven't seen a single robins egg blue on the Trading Post.  But, I've seen a handful of yellows & 'cados, a good number of browns, and countless reds.

And this is where the scale-of-value comes into play.  Since the CAB yellow kettle has been brought up in this thread, lets use that one.  Yeah, it's a beautiful yellow grill in fantastic condition that any one of us would love to own.  A range of value by WKC posts places it in the 150-200 range.  Not by me - out of my league.  And I'm certain I'm not alone.  So who's out of line?  Me for thinking the value is artificial or the info stating said value.  That's where I agree with landgraftj about not posting values for semi-rare kettles.  It's different all over the board. (location & individuals)

It still boils down to a simple principle:
"value" and "willing to pay" are subjective and completely dependent on the buyer's desire and market availability

While the WKC site is most DEFINITELY having an impact on awareness AND the average "value" of rare kettles, it's certainly NOT the only datasource responsible.

Regarding new members posting their rare finds, and WKC members giving them high hopes of value... I would rather be honest and share relevant data on the potential than withhold information to increase my chances of getting a rare grill at a cheap price (that I'm accustomed to).

Now if I stumble upon a rare grill at a garage sale for $10 bucks, you can bet your ass I'm buying it.
But when someone comes to me and inquires of the value of their find - i'm going to give the best advice I can, regardless of my own personal desire.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »
Maybe the question is "what can I get for it"  versus "whats it worth?"  Just because someone is willing to overpay some incredible price, that may not be what someone should expect to pay.  I have seen someone here pay over $100 for a red head with metal side handles.  I paid $30 for mine....so what's it worth?  I would tell someone you prob won't pay more than $50 for a red grill.  What's it worth?,  $150 just because one person paid that?  I don't think that sounds right....I paid $25 for my yellow kettle, is that what it's worth?  Or did I get a great deal?  Or when someone shells out $200 for it, are they grossly overpaying?  Seriously would someone here pay me $200 for my yellow?  If so, who?   I paid $90 for my Seville, is that what Seville's are worth now?  So a yellow is worth $200 and a Seville is worth $90?

I understand your point, and would just like to point out that pricing on old collectibles is very subjective & fluctuates constantly. By comparison, pricing on new Weber products is fairly objective. Weber has a retail pricing guide that licensed retailers are obliged to follow. For what its worth, I've never seen a Seville in person, but I think its cool that you were able to rescue one.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:24:27 PM by cbpeck »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Kettle Values
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
On that Yellow ,Is that firm or best offer ?lol
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:28:19 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »
Troy - I agree 100%. Not sure that helps your cause! lol

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »

Maybe the question is "what can I get for it"  versus "what's it worth?"  Just because someone is willing to overpay some incredible price, that may not be what someone should expect to pay.  I have seen someone here pay over $100 for a red head with metal side handles.  I paid $30 for mine....so what's it worth?  I would tell someone you prob won't pay more than $50 for a red grill.  What's it worth?,  $150 just because one person paid that?  I don't think that sounds right....I paid $25 for my yellow kettle, is that what it's worth?  Or did I get a great deal?  Or when someone shells out $200 for it, are they grossly overpaying?  Seriously would someone here pay me $200 for my yellow?  If so, who?   I paid $90 for my Seville, is that what Seville's are worth now?  So a yellow is worth $200 and a Seville is worth $90?

This distills down what I've been trying to get at........
In addition, I try to think before speaking.....everytime the answer is $25 or$50 higher it spreads the idea of rarity, desireability,"value" (emotionally), collectability, equals only dollars

Troy ~~>

"But when someone comes to me and inquires of the value of their find - i'm going to give the best advice I can, regardless of my own personal desire."

Yes,  respond in a balanced & sane way.....I agree!!!

Just wondering......what's my original wok worth ?

(tee-hee :D)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:33:52 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2013, 09:08:54 PM »

I paid 99c for mine on eBay if that helps
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
Well I guess that if the majority of the grills I bought were about $30, then they are worth about $30.... would this be correct?   Even all of us here have no real idea of the worth.  Is there a scale of condition?  The whole baseball card thing came up, the value is graded on a scale.  So are vintage cars..... Redheads are a little more common so the most valuable prefect redhead would be let's say $200.  Then start downgrading from there.... Ding in the lid...-10%, rusty handle attachment -another 10%, rotten handle- 20%, no original grate -5%, white walls gone-15%, crazing on the bowl. -30%, now it's worth $11..... If people are really thinking these are a hot commodity, then they need to be treated as such.  Otherwise anyone can claim anything is worth whatever with no basis whatsoever... that's why valuable things are judged by a points system.  There is some jackhole in Chicago right now who keeps trying to sell a brownie for $100, it was originally $150, right after Harris bought his on eBay.  The grill has some dumb handle on it, as the original was knocked off.  It's just two big bolts and a Block of wood.  This isn't worth a fuck in my opinion.  It's broken.  This all goes back to everyone thinks they have all this valuable stuff, most of it just isn't worth that much.  For me at the end of the day it's just cool to have a yellow grill.  I just don't think it's worth hundreds.  Mine is not perfect.  An old GTO is worth something, but a smashed one in a field is worth considerably less.  An all original Corvette is worth more than a resto, so where does that leave these Webers? Original is the most valuable? Restorations are less?

Sent from my XT1080MAX using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:09:55 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »
Zavod - yes. I think you're right on track. Condition is everything, and people have different standards in that regard. Some want a cooker, others a looker, and still some want a looker they can cook on. lol. Condition is important, though, and this whole debate would be squelched with a grading scale like cards, coins, autos, firearms, etc.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 02:36:56 AM »

"POSSIBLE TAGLINE ALERT !!!"   

"Some want a cooker, others a looker, and still some want a looker they can cook on."

I paid 99c for mine on eBay if that helps

Cool, mine was free.....splurged big time on sandblasting.....shop minimum, $36

From a collector's standpoint:
Brian's got a good way of going thru it......condition counts for a lot.....the way I look at it
It may be more about only the rare color for someone else: their color, even if in a somewhat lesser condition, may be so highly prized that it would drive the actual price paid up....
Going just by mine ( not having collected & turned anywhere near the number a lot of folks have)
a lot of them were free, $80 being tops for an unused 1990.....the really extra nice, very old, special designed ones (seville, fireplace kettle, ancient prototypes, wayback mid-50's) probably should be higher up, but also subject to condition grading, wouldn't you thnk?

Don't want to get too regimented in thinking about this, we'll end up publishing a price/ grading list & all be wearing uniforms.........

Oh wait, that last part's already happened.....cargo pants & a WKC T-shirt !!!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 04:04:20 AM »
Who doesn't love a pair of Cargo shorts?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:07:37 AM by zavod44 »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 04:04:44 AM »
 That's my whole point, it's just BBQ grills, who want's to bother with a grading scale?  They're not worth enough....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:08:44 AM by zavod44 »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »
Yeah we don't need "red weber bbq $15" listings on CL to turn into "red two tone 1978 weber easterner metal handles, original rubber wheels ex+ condition no crazing $150"
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »
Yeah we don't need "red webber bbq $15" listings on CL to turn into "red two tone 1978 weber easterner metal handles, original rubber wheels ex+ condition no crazing $150"

I "fixed" your post Gummi.    :P