Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood Dale Aristocrat.. best $20 I ever spent  (Read 1958 times)

RyanRLS

• Smokey Joe
Wood Dale Aristocrat.. best $20 I ever spent
« on: October 09, 2019, 01:37:45 AM »
Long post but worth the read.. trust me!

A few weeks ago I was scrolling through marketplace, hadn’t looked in over a week when something caught my eye, I see a shiny red grill in California with a metal lid handle.. the ad is marked as weber Bbq 28”.. my eyes nearly fell out of my head.. could I have stumbled across a Wood Dale aristocrat.. I click the ad and look at the pics and yes it’s exactly what I think it is!! I get even more excited when I see the price tag of only $25 and that it’s only been up for 3 minutes! I message straight away and the seller responds immediately saying I can have it!

Boom we are on! She marks the ad as pending at 5 minutes and I’m luckily the only one to message about it.. I get to work asking a few friends for assistance. Unfortunately none of my buddies were able to help me out with this one.. but before I gave up I thought outside the box.. sent out a couple of messages on marketplace and was super lucky to find a local plumber 3 miles away from the grill who was more than happy to help me out! I pass on the details to him for collection and he says he will collect it that evening.

A very long 8 hours then passes but the seller stayed true to her word and held the grill for me until my new buddy arrived to collect it.. my heart then sank when she messages me saying he only has a $20 bill on him, I thought the deal may have been ruined but it was quickly followed up with a message saying she just wants the grill gone.. would be rude not to help her out with that 🤷🏼‍♂️

My new friend sends me a picture of it in the back of his truck and the stress drops a little bit.. a week or so passes, we have a few hiccups with stuck thumbscrews but with a couple of FaceTimes and some running around by my agent it gets sorted and airborne on its way down under into my stable! What a guy [emoji1316]

So here she is! 1963 Wood Dale aristocrat.. restored 8” wheels, new legs and ashpan and a quick scrub she is ready to be put into the cooking rotation. She got a few extra bumps while being shipped to me but nothing worth crying over.. especially as the price was very right!

Absolute rollercoaster getting this one secured and posted to me but just goes to show there are still good people out there and being honest and kind goes a very long way.. I’ve scored a grail but also made a great new friend along the way! Special mention to my other pals who helped me out with this one.. they were just as excited as I was that this happened! One in particular who likes to stay quiet absolutely saved my bacon [emoji1316][emoji1316][emoji1316]

Thanks for looking 🤯 still can’t believe I managed to pull this off

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Wood Dale Aristocrat.. best $20 I ever spent
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 03:44:10 AM »
I’m stunned.  Amazing grill and story.  Unicorns are real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 03:45:17 AM »
Great score and what a ride

Sent from my SM-N976B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RyanRLS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 03:46:05 AM »

I’m stunned.  Amazing grill and story.  Unicorns are real.

Thanks, and tell me about it.. still in shock [emoji882]

RyanRLS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 03:46:35 AM »

Great score and what a ride

Sent from my SM-N976B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Thanks Peri!

smokeyjoe

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 03:58:37 AM »
Amazing find and great story. Grills with back stories are always the best. Keep up updated when you light er up

ISO Red Outrider.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 04:21:46 AM »
Awesome find. Congrats. 

I would have never thought to ask someone random on marketplace to do a pickup for me.  Way to think outside of the box.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 04:57:49 AM »
Amazing grill Ryan. Glad to see she finally made it home. Congratulations.

In the market for unicorns: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 05:23:36 AM »
Wow!  That may be the find of the year!  Congrats!  I think we just found out Red Wood Dale Aristocrats were even made last year when someone posted about a 1963 catalog.  Congrats again, and man what an agenting effort to get it down to Australia! 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 06:05:19 AM »
Very nice! Just saw this on facebook

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »
Amazing!! Hope to be so lucky one day

MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

RyanRLS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »

Wow!  That may be the find of the year!  Congrats!  I think we just found out Red Wood Dale Aristocrats were even made last year when someone posted about a 1963 catalog.  Congrats again, and man what an agenting effort to get it down to Australia!

Indeed, risky but paid off! It’s s very cool grill and most definitely my best score to date

RyanRLS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 10:32:58 AM »

Indeed, risky but paid off! It’s s very cool grill and most definitely my best score to date

RyanRLS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »

Amazing grill Ryan. Glad to see she finally made it home. Congratulations.

In the market for unicorns: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Thanks Rub! [emoji1316]

RyanRLS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »

Awesome find. Congrats. 

I would have never thought to ask someone random on marketplace to do a pickup for me.  Way to think outside of the box.

Had no other options and I wasn’t ready to give up, it was meant to be I guess [emoji51]